Is your vinegar real ?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This story is a few months old but do we really know what we consume. 

8 of 10 local vinegar brands made from synthetic acetic acid – DOST

Filipino vinegar brands in the Philippines are mostly “fake” and not made from natural sources a recent study showed.

Researchers from the Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (DOST-PNRI) used isotope-based analytical techniques to determine that from more than 360 brands of vinegar in the Philippines, 8 out of 10 are made from synthetic acetic acid.

“Condiments usually undergo the process of fermentation, and the raw materials must come from fruits and other natural products,” said Raymond Sucgang, Section Head of the PNRI Nuclear Analytical Techniques Applications Section.

His team’s research project distinguishes vinegar and other condiments from natural or plant-based sources from those which are derived from petroleum-based sources.

“One can only imagine all the impurities and residues from the petroleum by-products, which can be the source of various degenerative diseases,” said Sucgang.

The natural vinegar coming from plants will have traces of carbon with natural radioactivity, unlike those made from synthetic raw materials.

The results of the vinegar studies are being submitted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and will hopefully serve as a basis for the development of a new Vinegar Standards of the Philippines.

PNRI researchers are also developing isotope analytical techniques for use in detecting synthetic by-products in other condiments such as ketchup, fish sauce or patis, and soy sauce or toyo.

https://news.mb.com.ph/2019/05/08/8-of-10-local-vinegar-brands-made-from-synthetic-acetic-acid-dost/

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Filipino vinegar brands in the Philippines are mostly “fake” and not made from natural sources a recent study showed.

Real or not, "The basic component of vinegar (including apple cidervinegar) is diluted acetic acid, which is a toxic waste product in the human body. ...Vinegar is also an irritant to the central nervous system. Regular consumption ofvinegar can cause low potassium levels and lower bone density."

https://jenniferskitchen.com/health-information/how-vinegar-can-damage-your-health

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

So have i got it right.....Fake vinegar is made from a petrol by product and natural vinegar is radioactive. :Caught:

Is that so my chips will glow in the dark?:tiphat: Morning Philippines.

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well that left a bitter taste in my mouth. I thought it was the Chinese who faked everything, maybe they have a new teacher.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Thanks for sharing that. It is always a bit scary to think about imbibing synthetic "foods" or other things...

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

This names 5 brands with synthetic vinegar used (and says FDA Philippines states they must not be sold to the public).

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/money/topstories/fda-names-five-vinegar-brands-with-synthetic-acetic-acid/ar-AACmXHa

• Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

This names 5 brands with synthetic vinegar used (and says FDA Philippines states they must not be sold to the public).

I hope I am safe with my "Silver Swan" vinegar...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

I hope I am safe with my "Silver Swan" vinegar...

I have "Sarsons" malt on the way from the UK   Sarsons vinegar.jpg :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have "Sarsons" malt on the way from the UK   Sarsons vinegar.jpg :thumbsup:

Wow!!! That seems like it is probably safe to me! You actually shipped vinegar to Philippines from UK? Amazing!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Wow!!! That seems like it is probably safe to me! You actually shipped vinegar to Philippines from UK? Amazing!

Well there is nothing like the real stuff and after this Topic has risen I am Glad I Am doing it, Kevin (sonjack) and I have embarked on a twice a year project to get the Things we can't get here and hopefully save a few  £'s as well 

• Haha 1