Some experiences while driving in Davao City

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Yeah Tom, I went through that culture shock back in January, when I landed in the USA and rented a car.  Besides all of the things that you mentioned, other drivers would actually give way to me--e.g., drivers on the opposite side of the streets would actually stop for me (and make friendly hand gestures for me to make a turn), when I was signaling to make a left turn (across heavy traffic) into a shopping center... nothing at all like the Philippines, and I don't ever want to drive again in the Philippines.  I'll be renting a car with a driver when I go back for a visit.

Yours really is a wise decision to not drive here. I sort of need to drive - mainly because the new house will be located quite a distance from downtown. And shopping is easier with the car. I just make sure to go into the Gaisano Mall first so that I can get a covered parking spot in the morning. It is nerve wracking to drive but I do try to set a bit of an example by being as polite as possible. But there are those times when I need to slowly edge my way into a traffic lane so I can get across before I have another birthday! Assertive, defensive driving? And there are the aggressive ones too - back to the Fortuners! I let them go - so they arrive at the mall 10 seconds before me? I don't care!

But I think the real scourge is the jeepneys. They roar past me only to cut abruptly in front of me to disgorge their passengers or pick up new passengers who are too lazy to walk 5 meters to a legal pull-out. But you might be heartened - CTTMO and traffic police seem to be enforcing some of the no-stopping/no-loading zones on the main roads. I see a lot of jeepney drivers pulled over with a cops writing tickets. I know that won't stop this silly practice, but it gives me a glimmer of hope for the long term. And there is a lot of talk talk talk (yeah I know...talk) about mandating new jeepneys or re-built ones with right-hand SIDE doors instead of the back door access. Maybe they will enter the 21st century soon?

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Maybe they will enter the 21st century soon?

But it could very well be the 22nd century in the rest of the world (at least in the West) when that ever happens. :laugh:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

But it could very well be the 22nd century in the rest of the world (at least in the West) when that ever happens. :laugh:

Sorry, but it is difficult for me not to descend into a rant almost every time I consider driving here. I am cool when driving - but still need that shot or more of Tanduay whenever I or we stop using the car for the day. I often take taxis- mainly for the convenience factor of not having to find a parking place in this too-many-car-city. But I will NOT ride jeepneys - tried them a few times and too small, too crowded, too smelly sometimes, just too too too!

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

But I will NOT ride jeepneys -

I don't blame you... I always took the Tuk Tuk after having too many bad experiences on the jeepneys.

tuk tuk.JPG

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I don't blame you... I always took the Tuk Tuk after having too many bad experiences on the jeepneys.

I take them to get to close places, but they don't go very far. And I really don't like loading all my groceries into a trike and then the unload at the apartment. But I do enjoy the ambience of the ones with quiet mufflers and no music playing - actually a bit peaceful. And some of the taxi drivers...goodness!!! You would think we were in the Grand Prix (one without any rules, that is)! There have been some rides where I was afeared for my life!!!

• Like 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted (edited)

We were being brought back to the province from airport in Manila and the FIL’s van was packed full so the youngest kid sat on the hump in the front which is not a real seat with seatbelt. Traffic was so slow, that the traffic cop spotted us easily and stopped us to give a ticket. Well provincial or not a few of the ladies knew that a small bribe would get us going again so we ante’d up , I don’t even think it was more than 100 pesos and hardly suppressing giggles, they offered it to the cop saying it was for his kids. I think the giggling was all about, “well we may not be city slickers but we know how to handle this”. The cop was easy about it, and I’m sure we were laughing as we pulled away. This was over 10 years ago and I’m sure times were simpler then. A side note , those long trips were non-stop talk and laughs with 12 people in the van. A happy welcome to the Philippines. 

Edited by Rayj
  • Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I take them to get to close places, but they don't go very far.

Depends on what you consider to be far... I've gone as far as 38 km with a tuk tuk.

There have been some rides where I was afeared for my life!!!

I've had way too many of those experiences myself... and my wife has lost family members during their commutes to and from work on the roads in the Philippines... so many funerals that didn't have to happen.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Depends on what you consider to be far... I've gone as far as 38 km with a tuk tuk.

8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well... the trikes seem to only run around in designated neighbourhoods - maybe I am wrong? I am sure someone will correct me, if so. They do not venture from my area into the city but just stay within maybe 1 km or less and are not licensed to cross the highway, I've been told... Out in the countryside, I know they can venture far and see them often when driving to Mati...

• Hmm thinking 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, JDDavao said:

..........used my turn signals like doing so would get me into heaven.

:tiphat:  hats off, good expression. We can be perfect in many things that don’t really matter, It won’t help feed the starving children of India 

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

not licensed

Tom, please remember where your are :wink:

• Thanks 1