Some experiences while driving in Davao City

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Rayj said:

A side note , those long trips were non-stop talk and laughs with 12 people in the van. A happy welcome to the Philippines. 

Hi Rayj... thanks for your comments...

I think maybe things have changed. Here in Davao, there are lots and lots of vans jetting from the city in all directions (except onto Mount Apo itself...hehehe). And I mean JETTING! They drive like jeepneys on steroids - very fast and aggressive. Sure, I know that the farther they go and the more passengers they take, the more pesos they earn.. but still. My girl, L, will not ride on them - she is afraid because of how fast they drive. Yet they always seem to be full, because they can make a normal 4-5 hour bus ride to Mati in 2.5 hours sometimes... I never asked her about the very few times she did take a van about the talk and laughter but, knowing her, I think there was at least non-stop talk!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Tom, please remember where your are :wink:

Oooooopo... thanks! But I have tried to take some from one place to another outside their "service area," and they won't do it - not for me, not for L by herself...

• Hmm thinking 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Oooooopo... thanks! But I have tried to take some from one place to another outside their "service area," and they won't do it - not for me, not for L by herself...

I guess that things are much different in Davao, since such matters are much different in Batangas.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I guess that things are much different in Davao, since such matters are much different in Batangas.

And there is a good chance I am just misinformed or downright wrong, Mark. I am never quite sure about such things always - still learning. Just that has been my experience so far...

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

I am never quite sure about such things always - still learning. 

For me, the lessons never ceased... there's always something new to learn, which is definitely part of the charm of being a foreigner in the Philippines.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mark Berkowitz said:

For me, the lessons never ceased... there's always something new to learn, which is definitely part of the charm of being a foreigner in the Philippines.

...sometimes. Not always a charm, but mostly or I wouldn't stay...

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The motocabs (sidecar motorbikes) around our subdivision mostly work within the subdivision and exclusively within the barangay.  They have the barangay name on the sidecars in large print and they're all a similar color of blue (with different decorations but always blue).   I'm told they're not franchised to operate outside this area.  I can take one from the house at the back of the subdivision to the highway and when I get off I have a choice of other (different) tricycles or taxis (or close by jeepneys).

I'm not sure of the different licensing between the highway tricycles and the barangay ones but some of them do operate only restricted areas.  

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Not always a charm

roflmao.gif

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I'm not sure of the different licensing between the highway tricycles and the barangay ones but some of them do operate only restricted areas.  

Thanks, Geoff! I'm glad you explain that so completely. I believe that's maybe how it works here too. Most tricycles in each area usually has a cohesive colour scheme. In one in particular, the drivers even all wear matching T-shirts (these are foot powered not motor so, course they don't go very far. The trike (tuk tuk? I thought that was Thailand?) that Mark pictured is what I tend to see mostly on the highways - and some locally too - going from one village to the next. I see very few in the inner city - it's almost all cars, taxis, jeepneys.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Oh... a small addition here.... Whenever L and I are together for a trike ride, she is so cute with telling me to watch my head, then laughs as she watches me awkwardly cram myself into the seat next to her and then the reverse as I pry myself out... I still hit my head sometimes!

• Haha 1