It got me thinking

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, bastonjock said:

So what led you guys to this forum and the Philippines 

I'd worked for 35 years but I was having increasing medical issues so with the consent of the (not involved but still share holder family members) I found a buyer for the family business (which as manager I'd doubled in size and shifted to a new modern facility making it attractive to a larger company).

About 6 months after the money came through my (now ex) decided (after 20 odd years - I had a much earlier divorce) that she wanted a separation.

So the main family house (which I'd poured my assets into) and a large lump sum and a large amount of (continuing child support payments) go to her leaving me with the old family house (which was somewhat run down having been rented and was worth much less) and half of my superannuation and now no job.

That wasn't ideal as you can imagine so I started looking elsewhere.  I joined an online dating site for the Philippines... visited... that ended badly but while I was here I met SWMBO.  I ended up chatting online to her, came back in a few months and things gradually went from there.

The forum... well I joined that well after all this had happened, I'd followed some other web sites but I didn't find this one until everything was pretty much done and dusted.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I was introduced by an already member here ( the Forum) some 7+ years ago, to the Philippines, well I married a work Colleague who happened to be a Filipina, We met when I was sent here by the Company)

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 4
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Nothing dramatic for me, divorced from my 1st wife of 23 years (no kids) following a period of drifting apart, met my 2nd wife whilst we were both working in Hong Kong - baby came along, got married and moved here 4 years ago. Joined the forum because it's an invaluable source of information ( and the odd piece of misinformation but it's all good).

Happy with life here and now, lucky to say I've not gone through the same traumas that some here have.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have walked in your shoes .

A divorce is one of those things that could kill you and it very nearly did kill me, the end of the world that I had knew , like you the letters and the demands from a solicitor who does not know me at all and the lies that was said about me , a unfit husband and father who hurt his ex wife and friends who was your friends well they don’t exist now.

But look at me now, life is the best it’s every been I have the most beautiful wife/ friend any person could every wish for , yes it’s been hard work , but that hard work has got me to where we are now, money in the bank , our own home here and there sort off.

Yes going and looking at the fruits of the east certainly has worked for me, by the way before all this happened I really had no idea about the Philippines, by the way it was a dating site that got me into the Philippines and at first I was a kid in a sweat shop with all those lovely goodies that I could only dream about, no more dreaming now Steve.

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Nothing dramatic for me either.  Been married to the same Filipina lady for 33 years.  I'm a planner and I think really long term so retiring to the Philippines has always been our plan.  I'm a member of a couple of expat forums but this is probably the best one.  Raised three kids and have two grandkids but it's almost time for this tired guy and his wife to move on.  About a year left to go.😁

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I first visited the Phills in 1971 and fell in love with it right off the bat. I had no plans of retiring here after I retired from the military in 94. I went from a supervisor to a house painter..then working at a hotel..then a pest control company where the stress started and just said the hell with it. Made the move in 2002 and have never regretted it one time. With my military pension and SSN I'm living the good life. Despite everything I complain about, I wouldn't have it any other way.:cheers: 

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Despite everything I complain about,

I’ve never heard you complain at all.:whistling:

• Haha 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2019 at 3:50 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

Since then, I've learned many things on this forum, including how to get my son his American citizenship 

dave.JPG

dave.JPG

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Removed troll comments
  • Love it 1