Making a new life in the Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well I am not there yet, but coming this December for a few months to see what it’s like rather then a few weeks in holiday mode.

I am still thinking there will be problems ahead but that’s just me maybe , living with the father in law and brother in law may flow up the odd shouting match , but I must say the father in law is a very good man , we will see what happens over the time we are there that way I should know if the Philippines is going to be a holiday destination for a good few months every so often or permanent, there is no rush just yet.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Well I am not there yet, but coming this December for a few months to see what it’s like rather then a few weeks in holiday mode.

I am still thinking there will be problems ahead but that’s just me maybe , living with the father in law and brother in law may flow up the odd shouting match , but I must say the father in law is a very good man , we will see what happens over the time we are there that way I should know if the Philippines is going to be a holiday destination for a good few months every so often or permanent, there is no rush just yet.

I came here early in 2011 to see if I could live here, I stayed one month in an apartment in Cebu city. That was enough for me to make the move later that year. You are coming for 3 months and I think that should make your mind up one way or the other. Good luck, if you cannot make it to Dumaguete we accept wire transfers for a few rounds of beer at the monthly meet up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Im of the opinion that the Philippines can be a great place to live , you the foreigner have to adjust to their way of life , it takes a bit of working out , im hoping to establish friendship and build on my relationship with gf 

I see clearly that it is up to us to adapt and adjust - as you say - because this is the Filipino's country, not little Britain or little America, or whatever. I feel that if someone is here who only bitches and moans about conditions and all - they should go home or somewhere else and good luck to them. The only real impediment for me, really, is the language(s). I can speak a few words - enough to show some effort and maybe respect - but definitely not enough for conversation. Other than financial, I have absolutely no ties to USA, which makes it probably much easier for me than most here on this forum? No kids, no siblings, no known distant relatives even, only a few close friends that I correspond with a few times per year. So Philippines is definitely my present and future and I intend to make the best of it!

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I should also say here that I owe so much to my partner, L. She helps try to keep me on the straight and narrow telling me things like, "You need to be careful how you say things." There are so many times that I blunder with some customs - the clothes I wear, how to greet someone, when to shut up and what, when and how to speak. Sometimes it is a bit bewildering for an old poop like me to follow and figure it out, but she is always there to guide me. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Wives/partners are good, but it usually happens that they catch your error after it happens and not before.

Hmmm... good point. L is getting better at advising me before I f*** myself up in most situations. She catches me maybe 75% of the time. But you know about old age and treachery... sometimes I accidentally get one past her before she catches it. They just slip out:rolleyes:

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure we (or should that be I) can really adapt to the way things are done here, rather I am just learning to bite my tongue and work around what needs to be worked around.    

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure we (or should that be I) can really adapt to the way things are done here, rather I am just learning to bite my tongue and work around what needs to be worked around.    

I do some of each. But I am having to adapt more because my tongue is getting sore!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I am having to adapt more because my tongue is getting sore!

Stop wagging it so much then:SugarwareZ-004:

• Haha 1