Making a new life in the Philippines

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Greg41 said:

Balisidar, thank you again for your warm welcome. 

I’m new here and I really don’t know where to post an introduction.  I’ve recently become a widower and I no longer wish to stay here in England. I’m interested in the Philippines, since I’ve often heard so many good things about how the Philippines is a great place for expats.  I’m looking forward to learning more about each of your expat experiences in the Philippines by reading this forum.  There’s so much research that I need to do before I can make the move.

Go to the top left corner and click on browse, that will take you to subject titles  scroll down and there is a section  Members greetings you can put an intro there.

• Like 2

Greg41
Posted
Posted

I really do appreciate your warm welcomes and advice! :)

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
On 7/9/2019 at 1:08 AM, Greg41 said:

Balisidar, thank you again for your warm welcome. 

I’m new here and I really don’t know where to post an introduction.  I’ve recently become a widower and I no longer wish to stay here in England. I’m interested in the Philippines, since I’ve often heard so many good things about how the Philippines is a great place for expats.  I’m looking forward to learning more about each of your expat experiences in the Philippines by reading this forum.  There’s so much research that I need to do before I can make the move.

The best advice I can give you (whatever your age... but especially for an older person), is DON'T burn all your bridges. If you have property in the UK, don't be in a hurry to sell it. 

Keep 'connected' until you are absolutely sure you want to sever the umbilical cord to your home country.... especially one that has free healthcare, etc. :wink:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Keep 'connected' until you are absolutely sure you want to sever the umbilical cord to your home country.... especially one that has free healthcare, etc. :wink:

Don't forget that free healthcare stops after 3 months being out of the UK - retaining a house there might help convince the authorities you are still living there but a little digging would prove otherwise 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I was here about 6 years before I sold my house in the UK. I never wanted to but even using a highly recommended letting agency I still had more problems than I considered it was worth to keep it. I was sure I was staying before I sold.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I was here about 6 years before I sold my house in the UK. I never wanted to but even using a highly recommended letting agency I still had more problems than I considered it was worth to keep it. I was sure I was staying before I sold.

We should also bear in mind though that some will need the money from a  house sale to fund their life here - not all can afford to maintain a property they don't live in.  

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Don't forget that free healthcare stops after 3 months being out of the UK - retaining a house there might help convince the authorities you are still living there but a little digging would prove otherwise 

The reality is... it is a lot  more than 3 months, and they don't 'dig'.  (Why would they anyway ?)  So, sorry to spoil your 'spoiler' . :rolleyes:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, graham59 said:

The reality is... it is a lot  more than 3 months, and they don't 'dig'.  (Why would they anyway ?)  So, sorry to spoil your 'spoiler' . :rolleyes:

I think we all agree that the practical application of the rule is perhaps loose, but the point stands - retaining a property will not help one iota IF they dig.  And, as per a post in another topic, they do.  How often? Who knows?  Why do they - well, the small matter of generating revenue for the NHS and because it's their responsibility to do so.  

It's all very well to say don't worry, it won't happen etc etc but it's wise to be aware, and make others aware, of the possibility no matter how small.  Which is all I was doing - no spoilers from me! :2245_safe: 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, graham59 said:

and they don't 'dig'. 

They most certainly do Graham, GP's mainly now are Fund managers for the NHS and as such they get a price per patient on the Register. As I said in an earlier post This happened to me, they (The NHS) Auditors do checks to make sure GP Practices are not being Paid for a patient that is no Longer alive or not at the Address they have on File. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Jack, I'm not doubting that at all, but signing up as a patient with a GP is very different from walking in to a clinic or hospital because you're ill... or calling an ambulance, for that matter (especially if your life depends upon it !). 

A bit of common sense is needed. 

Those of us who are basically in good health can of course wait around for a few months before (if necessary) having our NHS records transferred from one GP to another.