I received my K1 approval...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I am getting burnt out on "reality TV." Everything seems to be "reality" and yes, the characters are, indeed, chosen for their dramatic flairs. I guess this is the replacement for the old "Soap Operas" from our youth?

I don't watch many TV shows.  Usually I'm a channel surfer and if I happen across something that catches my attention, I might watch for a while.

Just recently I watched a bit of "container wars".  An offshoot of "storage wars", I believe.  The contents of abandoned ocean shipping containers are auctioned off to the highest bidder.

The bidders are all flamboyant personalities.  There are often conflicts between the bidders.  The biggest give away that it is staged is that they cut the lock, open the doors, and low and behold, the contents are draped with perfectly clean huge cloth tarps, and the items are often not secured for shipping.

A huge crock of sh*t, but I still watch for a while!  :smile:

That other one, storage wars, got caught planting valuable items in the storage units to make it more exciting.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't watch many TV shows.  Usually I'm a channel surfer and if I happen across something that catches my attention, I might watch for a while.

I tend to do the same mostly. But I think, maybe, we are drifting off topic? I think there is some interest in talking TV programs and maybe should consider splitting topics - what do you think, OMW?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

But I think, maybe, we are drifting off topic? I think there is some interest in talking TV programs and maybe should consider splitting topics - what do you think, OMW?

As a moderator, I can tell you that staff will decide when to split topics  We ask members not to concern yourself with that part.

I have noticed that you made 2 posts in a row.  One was on topic, (thank you), and the other was continuing an off topic discussion.  Here is how you can fix that, in the future:

When you see a thread start to drift off topic and you want to continue the off topic part of the discussion then YOU start a new thread.  Anyone can start a thread.  Just copy and paste the link to the post you are responding to so that people can follow the conversation.  (EDIT:  Reading further I see that you already did this, with the exception of not posting a link.  Thank you.)

When a moderator splits a thread, it often stops the discussion cold.  Some people just enjoy wandering off topic so we give a little leeway and then say:

Now can we go back to the original topic please.  To remind everyone where we were at, Tommy T had asked:

2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Could you tell me how long this process has taken? Also, not to be prying but, can you also tell me about how much it has cost or will cost to do this?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When you see a thread start to drift off topic and you want to continue the off topic part of the discussion then YOU start a new thread.  Anyone can start a thread.  Just copy and paste the link to the post you are responding to so that people can follow the conversation.

Thanks for the explanation and guidance. Now I learned another way to participate better in this forum.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That other one, storage wars, got caught planting valuable items in the storage units to make it more exciting.

OMW... I started a new topic for TV programs and here is the link:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/30620-cable-tv-programs/

I hope I did that right...

fototek1
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Could you tell me how long this process has taken? Also, not to be prying but, can you also tell me about how much it has cost or will cost to do this?

I have a friend who married a Filipina. He told me it took him two years and around US$5,000 for the process. I think he included trips from Davao to Manila - air fare and hotel? - but not positive about that....

The time for the process varies but expect between 9 months and 3 years. $5000 is an accurate amount when counting all US gov fees, exams, appointments, xrays and the fiances plane ticket. My wife flew from Dubai alone when she came on K1. As many others have said that cost is small when you need to support the fiances whole family in the Philippines. I can't relate to this part since my wife is from a self supporting family.

Edited by fototek1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, fototek1 said:

The time for the process varies but expect between 9 months and 3 years. $5000 is an accurate amount when counting all US gov fees, exams, appointments, xrays and the fiances plane ticket.

Thanks for confirming most of what my friend told me! So I know it will take a while and cost a bunch. Good to know up front.

redfeather
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tommy T.,

The amount of $5,000 is on the low end and that would only work if you do not take but maybe one trip to the Philippines yourself.  Keep in mind that to prove you have an ongoing relationship to USCIS you really need a minimum of two trips to the Philippines with pictures of both you and her and her family which shows good evidence of your ongoing relationship.  As another person pointed out if you have to send her and her family some support money this dollar amount will go up.  The process takes 7-10 months if you do not hit any snags, and if you hit snags it could take over a year or more. 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Removed link to another forum per rules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, redfeather said:

The amount of $5,000 is on the low end and that would only work if you do not take but maybe one trip to the Philippines yourself.  Keep in mind that to prove you have an ongoing relationship to USCIS you really need a minimum of two trips to the Philippines with pictures of both you and her and her family which shows good evidence of your ongoing relationship.  As another person pointed out if you have to send her and her family some support money this dollar amount will go up.  The process takes 7-10 months if you do not hit any snags, and if you hit snags it could take over a year or more. 

Thanks for the info! I will take a look at that link. Should not be a problem as far as tripping to P.I.? I have been living here full time for over 3 1/2 years and have many many photos of the two of us plus many with her family including siblings and ageing parents. Spending money for the family is - fortunately not necessary. They are not wealthy (neither am I) but they are more than self-sufficient with some being more hard-working than others - as you can imagine.  We also have history of online messaging going back to when we first met. But I also know that things don't always work out as we plan so back to cautious optimism.

Sorry , I didn't mention before that the friend I referred to before, married his wife over two years ago, then started the process. They lived also in Davao the entire time.

• Like 1