Third telecom gets license

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That makes me wonder if the Philippine Internet is limited by the size of the undersea cables that connect us to the world, of just limited by PLDT doling out bandwidth to the resellers in miserly amounts.

I remember last year when Stupid stated that their service was slowed due to a problem with their cable connection to somewhere like Singapore or Hong Kong - wherever they connected too. This was after a typhoon. I really am not sure if I can believe their excuses (alibi's?) any more. And just today, Duterte was quoted saying he wanted to see faster internet. I thought he said that last year and promised improvements? Or am I out of date, out of touch?

12 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Gonna get crowded up there for sure if all these plans come to fruition. 

From a documentary I just saw yesterday about the International Space Station and how they sometimes need to evade orbital "junk," I think it is already crowded up there. They said there was something like 8,000 pieces of space junk circling the globe? (That is just the number I think I heard - so much information in this documentary that I didn't remember it all)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Limited bandwidth and high expense is the primary reason. 

Ah Well we must still eat what is on the table or go Hungry :smile:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I remember last year when Stupid stated that their service was slowed due to a problem with their cable connection to somewhere like Singapore or Hong Kong - wherever they connected too.

Well it just may be True you see PLDT the Major in this game is a Hong Kong Based Company that own PLDT and Globe are in Cahoots with a Singapore company at 40% with the Alayas holding 50% the rest is Philippine Help shares do up to 60% when you look at this from that Angle it is not Brain Surgery.

en.wikipedia.org  Globe

Unlike PLDT preferred shares which are owned by millions of Filipinos, the entire issued and outstanding Globe preferred shares – totaling 158,515,021 shares - are owned by one company, Asiacom Philippines, Inc., which is 60% owned by Ayala Corporation and 40% owned by Singapore Telecom Int'l Pte Ltd, a foreign ...Sep 14, 2011*****

Who owns PLDT?

In 1998, Hong Kong-based First Pacific Company Ltd. acquired a 17.5% stake in PLDT making it the majority owner of the conglomerate. Following the acquisition by the First Pacific group, Manuel V. Pangilinan became the new president and CEO of PLDT, replacing Cojuangco, who assumed the post of Chairman until 2004.****

Edited by Jack Peterson
added some
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Isn't Mr Uy a big buddy of DU30 ? 

Of course I'm sure everything is totally 'above-board'.  :unsure:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Hopefully this will result in some real increase in availability, reliability, speed of phone and internet service.  

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/07/08/19/mislatel-gets-license-to-operate-as-third-telco-player

MANILA (1st UPDATE) - It's all systems go for the Dennis-Uy led Mislatel consortium as it finally received on Monday its license to operate as the Philippines's third telco player.

In a ceremony in Malacañang earlier today, President Rodrigo Duterte personally awarded the certificate of public convenience and necessity (CPCN) to Uy.

"The entry of this Mislatel Consortium – assuming that it complies with this commitment – is indeed a milestone in our efforts to provide fast, reliable, secure, and more affordable telecommunication services to the public," Duterte said.

The consortium, which will be renamed Dito Telecommunity Corporation, is expected to begin commercial operations by 2020.

Mislatel, which is made up of Uy's firms and China Telecom, posted a P25.7-billion performance bond for their commitments as the new major player.

In its first year of operation, the company committed to deliver 27 megabits per second (Mbps) internet speed covering 37 percent of the country. 

It also promised to offer 55 Mbps of internet speed that covers 84 percent of the population within 5 years. 

The new player also intends to spend P257 billion pesos in infrastructure and service rollout.

Great news! Now instead of a duopoly, we will have a triopoly!!! :hystery:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

In 1998, Hong Kong-based First Pacific Company Ltd. acquired a 17.5% stake in PLDT making it the majority owner of the conglomerate. Following the acquisition by the First Pacific group, Manuel V. Pangilinan became the new president and CEO of PLDT, replacing Cojuangco, who assumed the post of Chairman until 2004.****

Thanks for the detailed scoop on the tel companies, Jack. At this point, I don't trust any of them to come up with fast internet and good service - but I can still be hopeful...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

but I can still be hopeful...

:whatever: As we all do But................................

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for the detailed scoop on the tel companies, Jack. At this point, I don't trust any of them to come up with fast internet and good service - but I can still be hopeful...

It's all relative but I don't think things are that bad - my speed of 12mbps is sufficient for my needs and I rarely have any service interruption.  Could it be faster - yes, but it's mot a big deal for me personally.  I know for those who play games online (not those type of games!) and download it's a pain but I'm not one of those. 

I'd prefer to make progress on the power supply and water supply t.b.h.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It's all relative but I don't think things are that bad - my speed of 12mbps is sufficient for my needs and I rarely have any service interruption.

I wish I could agree with you here, but I really can't...sorry. Just today my internet speed dropped to near zero - it took forever to download simple pages or so send/receive data - and it lasted from around noon until at least 3 pm... After that, I was away for awhile. Now it seems sortof normal slow again, not glacial. And it is still rather slow now - 8 hours later. I think it depends a lot on location and time of day too? But today was unusually slow - even for here...

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I wish I could agree with you here, but I really can't...sorry. Just today my internet speed dropped to near zero - it took forever to download simple pages or so send/receive data - and it lasted from around noon until at least 3 pm... After that, I was away for awhile. Now it seems sortof normal slow again, not glacial. And it is still rather slow now - 8 hours later. I think it depends a lot on location and time of day too? But today was unusually slow - even for here...

To coin a phrase Tom, YMMV

• Like 1