Third telecom gets license

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

It will be interesting to see how this new telecom starts operation as I seem to remember that it initially was supposed to start out in Mindanao and spread from there.  

Laying new undersea lines between the islands in addition to additional and higher capacity trunk lines to the rest of the world is greatly needed, especially if the Philippines wish to expand their IT business.  I seem to remember there are currently 2 undersea trunk lines, 1 to Asia and 1 to the US and both originate in Manila.  https://dict.gov.ph/dict-to-pilot-test-fiber-backbone/

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Undersea cables into the Philippines.  

https://www.submarinecablemap.com

image.png

• Thanks 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Undersea cables into the Philippines.  

https://www.submarinecablemap.com

image.png

Quite interesting though it also causes the question 'why' for some of the loci.  For instance the majority of the undersea lines seem to surface at Batangas on Luzon yet distribution to the majority of the islands goes out of Cavite and the NDTN goes through Lucerna with no direct connection to an overseas cable.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It's great news for me! I'll now 2 alternative providers that are not allowed to install in my sub-division!  :sad: 

• Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's great news for me! I'll now 2 alternative providers that are not allowed to install in my sub-division!  :sad: 

Just tell them to grease the gate guards palm! :shades:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's all relative but I don't think things are that bad - my speed of 12mbps is sufficient for my needs and I rarely have any service interruption.  Could it be faster - yes, but it's mot a big deal for me personally.  I know for those who play games online (not those type of games!) and download it's a pain but I'm not one of those. 

I'd prefer to make progress on the power supply and water supply t.b.h.  

12 is good. I'm getting 15 plus. I'll still download the same tv shows no matter the speed. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I wish I could agree with you here, but I really can't...sorry. Just today my internet speed dropped to near zero - it took forever to download simple pages or so send/receive data - and it lasted from around noon until at least 3 pm... After that, I was away for awhile. Now it seems sortof normal slow again, not glacial. And it is still rather slow now - 8 hours later. I think it depends a lot on location and time of day too? But today was unusually slow - even for here...

Depends where you live of course. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Depends where you live of course. 

I am positive that my problems of late are due to cell tower problems. On any given day I see 75% or three bars on my wifi. In the past three days it has been dropping to 25% and speed drops too, usually after noon.... Maybe FaceBook users are awake by then or out of school?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Just tell them to grease the gate guards palm! :shades:

That would solve the 1st problem AK, but the 2nd, and more problematic one, is that the boxes in the area have no additional capacity so we are unable to get a cable from the box to our house.  The Globe box we are wired into is already over capacity and now only the roof-mounted connection is available to new subscribers. 

• Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

That would solve the 1st problem AK, but the 2nd, and more problematic one, is that the boxes in the area have no additional capacity so we are unable to get a cable from the box to our house.  The Globe box we are wired into is already over capacity and now only the roof-mounted connection is available to new subscribers. 

I feel your pain. The street I drive on to get home has PLDT advertisements for up to 200 mbps fiber at a special price. Too bad for me that they didn't run the lines into my subdivision.:Mad:

• Thanks 1