Talk about getting screwed!

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hey, robert...anything is worth a try! Thanks for the suggestions. I am familiar with rust converter - used it a number of times aboard my yacht as the salt water took its inevitable toll - but hadn't thought of that for this situation. When they show me problem, it seems to be mostly the chrome flakes off and leaves abrupt edges and that's where most of the leaks seem to be. But rust is increasing with age - like arthritis and flatulence with some of us oldies...(at least me:smile:). I will definitely see about the over -inflation trick too. I did that back when I worked in a gas station as a teen - usually helped seal problem tire/rim issues.

The good thing - like I mentioned before - is that I was having this problem every couple of weeks until recently and now all tires have been okay. I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that... I will post next time it happens and share it with you.

Ive had my tyres filled with nitrogen in Davao , seems to do the trick , there are the odd vulcanising shop that does the service

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Ive had my tyres filled with nitrogen in Davao , seems to do the trick , there are the odd vulcanising shop that does the service

Okay... what does filling with nitrogen do compared with regular air? I have seen signs advertising this but don't know what difference it makes?

• Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay... what does filling with nitrogen do compared with regular air? I have seen signs advertising this but don't know what difference it makes?

It's largely a gimic, nitrogen is a bigger molecule so should leak slower but as air. is 78% nitrogen anyway any difference is negligible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gary D said:

It's largely a gimic, nitrogen is a bigger molecule so should leak slower but as air. is 78% nitrogen anyway any difference is negligible.

Thanks Gary. I was wondering about that too - being a scuba diver I was thinking what is the difference of 22-odd percent? But it sounds plausible... We need MythBusters!!!:hystery:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I think it's just a way for them to rake in more cash.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Ranger Andy
Posted
Posted

Puncture-Proof Tires Revealed by GM and Michelin

Get ready to have the wind taken out of you? Michelin and General Motors aiming for a 2024 launch of airless, environmentally friendly tires.

https://interestingengineering.com/puncture-proof-tires-revealed-by-gm-and-michelin