LED bulbs

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Another LED bulb bites the dust, supposed to last 50,000 hours. Replaced all ours in 2016. five bulbs that have gone kaput in 12 months. Not cheap either.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Another LED bulb bites the dust, supposed to last 50,000 hours. Replaced all ours in 2016. five bulbs that have gone kaput in 12 months. Not cheap either.

Jim... I have had similar results. LED's do last longer than incandescents, but, so far, they don't seem to live up to their long life claims. Remember that these are electronic, not just electrical. So I am thinking that the hot, humid climate might have something to do with this? It has wreaked havoc on my expensive Teva sandals - the glue just gives up, even when not worn, in less than two years... I will be outfitting my new home exclusively with LED's... I hope they last longer than two years considering occasional use only...

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

LED's do last longer than incandescents, but, so far, they don't seem to live up to their long life claims. Remember that these are electronic, not just electrical

We are all LED now and it seems about 2 years is about the life span ( well it seems that way for us)

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

An ongoing issue for us.  What is your voltage?  Ours is high at 237-241 and I think that has something to do with burning bulbs out quicker.  Most bulbs are rated to 240.  I found EuroLux LED at Handyman, rated 180-265.  I had the first burnout recently and I think it lasted just over a year.  On the box, they say 18 years at 4.5 hours per day!

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Some of mine, the majority in fact, have been in place for about 4 years with no issue but a few have been replaced during that time.  

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Firefly seems to be a good brand. We rented this older house that we live in 2008. We seldom turn on the LED light in the front of the house because there is a street light there. When we accidentally turn the switch sometimes it still comes on..weird.:huh: 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

An ongoing issue for us.  What is your voltage?  Ours is high at 237-241 and I think that has something to do with burning bulbs out quicker.  Most bulbs are rated to 240.  I found EuroLux LED at Handyman, rated 180-265.  I had the first burnout recently and I think it lasted just over a year.  On the box, they say 18 years at 4.5 hours per day!

Voltage is 220-230.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Some of mine, the majority in fact, have been in place for about 4 years with no issue but a few have been replaced during that time.  

We are all LED as well, a mix of both modules and bulbs, both off-brand and Philips. Most of ours have been on for the duration - about 3 years - without too many replacements. Maybe we're lucky or maybe I should bite my tongue...

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I also wonder how much brownouts are reducing the life of the bulbs - they cannot be doing them any good

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

We are all LED now and it seems about 2 years is about the life span ( well it seems that way for us)

I just checked with L about this. She says that LED's only last about two years - which is a bit disappointing considering the cost. However, they do use less electricity so somewhere there is a payoff?