LED bulbs

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I can assure you that there are rarely more than 10 lights at any given time.  Otherwise I take action.  Meaning I sneak around offing switches.  I think the only time all those outdoor lights were on like the below was when I took the photo.

Beautiful home!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I neglected to mention that our incoming voltage is 247.  The AVR shows the input and output voltages and regulates at 230.

It seems a good thing that you have the AVR.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I neglected to mention that our incoming voltage is 247.  The AVR shows the input and output voltages and regulates at 230.

Describe your AVR for us.  Where is it placed?

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

The main reason I I decided to install the AVR was before we moved I had already decided to ship my tools  build a workshop.  Most are 115 volt but some 220 volt.  Table saw, milling machine, and lathe, and many had power tools.  I knew I was going to need a step down transformer so after some research I started learning about the AVR.  Then after building the house I found we have 115 volts as well as the 230.  So at least the AVRs were still needed.  Glad I had them installed.

The larger one is in the utility room near the panel box which handles most of all the house loads.  A smaller one in an added entertainment room.  And dedicated one in my workshop for the 115 volt tools I shipped.

Edited by intrepid
added info
  • Like 3
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Then after building the house I found we have 115 volts as well as the 230. 

Can you please explain how you have 115 and 230 volts in your house - except for if you are using transformers? Is that what you meant?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Can you please explain how you have 115 and 230 volts in your house - except for if you are using transformers? Is that what you meant?

In our subdivision I did not know until we built we have like in the US, two 115 volt lines.  I had heard they also have this system around Subic.  I am sure there are other places as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

In our subdivision I did not know until we built we have like in the US, two 115 volt lines.  I had heard they also have this system around Subic.  I am sure there are other places as well.

Really? I didn't know they did that here. That sounds very progressive. Obviously there are a lot of people running 115 volt equipment - witness the selection of step-down transformers in every hardware store! I will check for that when we build. Thanks for the information!

Oh...Does this mean they are running 3 phase also like in USA?

Also...how well is your system grounded? I am much concerned about grounding here since there have been times when I get the "tingle" when touching an A/C appliance at some other locations than my apartment - which appears to properly grounded - no stray current here...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Oh...Does this mean they are running 3 phase also like in USA? 

Also...how well is your system grounded?

My electrical system is grounded about like in the US.  An actual 8' ground rod under the meter.  #2 copper to the panel box and grounds were run to most of the outlets.  The ones not grounded, I had them come back and pull grounds.  Guess they were lazy at some point.  Have to keep an eye on everything.

As far as 3 phase I cannot answer that.  I'm sure a call to your power company here would find an answer.  Back home I had several pieces of equipment with 3 phase motors.  I don't care for the phase converters due to loss of power or the rotart phase converters because of the noise.  Since VFD's have dropped down in price over the years, that is the way to go.  A little over $100. for a VFD which could run up to 5hp three phase.  Can't beat it.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I know there are switching devices that detect power loss or drop that will switch from grid power to inverter from batteries in a very short amount of time, but not sure how much delay. I think that is much better than relying totally on grid power that just drops totally or - as in my case on Samal Island for over a week - where the voltage was near 200 only and my aircon was rumbling and labouring until I shut it off completely. The problem might be cost for those switches. I am sure there is someone in the forum with more complete information than mine.

On my yacht, I had a system like that where the inverter automatically kicked in when the power dropped. I know it was fast - maybe a second? I would hardly notice a blink in the lights... But this was a rather small system - not house sized. As I noted before, good, quality surge protectors are a must for aircons and any electronics. I will research to see if I can get whole-house surge protection when we build our home. We cannot afford solar panels yet, but will have the cabling roughed in during construction.

Whole house surge protectors in the UK are about £70 (4400 pesos) they sit on the DIN rail beside the breakers in the consumer unit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-type-2-surge-protection-device-20ka/688gx

Regarding inverters the switch over should be instant, actually you run the house from the inverter full time and all that changes is the main goes away leaving the battery support.

• Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)

Time to chuck my 2 pesos worth in

The AVRs are a great way to protect your equipment , in the UK they are fittee after the power supply and are usually reserved for computers and monitors 

With regard to his 50hz versus 60 Hz ,most appliances will not be trouble by this difference, the majority of the worlds electrical equipment work on this range 

There are items called voltage sensitive relays ,these control the change over to battery or generator when the mains fail

Forgot to add,  that LEDs are better for your eyes , the switching off and switching on is what shortens 5heir life , the quality has greatly improved over the last 4 or 5 years , having a ground or earth is also a very good idea , the most important wire is the ground wire , it will save your life 

As far as three phase goes , all generated electricity starts as 3 phase , you have three wires ,each carrying a phase , to achieve 230volts , you have a neutral , between each phase and neutral you will find 230 volts , between each phase you will find 400 to 420 volts depending on the country 

If you want to measure amperage you will need a clamp meter , some of the cheap Chinese meters are pretty good , if you want an accurate reading you will need a calibrated instrument , the cheaper meters can be out bu 10% the better ones that are calibrated 2% , I cant remember the exact regulation but meters have a maximum 5% either way redundancy in them 

Edited by bastonjock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1