Question about speaking English

Greg41
Posted
Posted

I realise that there are many different languages and dialects spoken in the Philippines.  With that being said, I’d like to limit my first visit to places where I’ll have a better chance of communicating in English.

I imagine that it will take a good amount of time for me to learn the local languages.  Can you recommend places that are the most English-language friendly?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Greg41 said:

I realise that there are many different languages and dialects spoken in the Philippines.  With that being said, I’d like to limit my first visit to places where I’ll have a better chance of communicating in English.

I imagine that it will take a good amount of time for me to learn the local languages.  Can you recommend places that are the most English-language friendly?

Due to the American influence for many years, many Filipinos speak proper American English.  You might need lessons.  :hystery:

Here in Subic Bay Freeport and Olongapo, formerly U.S. held, English is no problemo.  It is rare to encounter non-English speakers.  I had a plumber in last week and he was the first I had encountered in a long time where I had to rely completely on my wife.  Retail stores, etc., no problem.

Tourist areas are usually speaking English.  In Manila, I have only been to tourist areas and usually no problem.  I can't really speak for other cities except maybe Baguio, where English is used a lot.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Greg41 said:

Cities obviously have a majority speaking English. Almost anywhere should speak some English but the further into no where you get then might be difficult but I doubt if you will be in that part of the Philippines anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Greg41
Posted
Posted

So, I should be fine with English in most places.  That’s comforting to know.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm in Iloilo. Here, whilst it's easy to get by in English, if you want to get into real conversation and discussion it can be difficult. I'd say most are kinda high school student level 2nd language speaker level.

I know it's petty, but i have to bite my tongue when i hear people here describing themselves as native speakers. I'm not talking about their level of skill - simply the fact that they are not living in a recognised native English speaking country. It only pees me off because it is indicative of the superior attitude of some here. As I said, I know it's petty but hey ho.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I once met a Filipina, in Dumaguete, who spoke and understood English better than most expats.  It is rare.  This lady was the instructor at Qualfon and thus was required to have exceptional skills.  The point is, anywhere there is a call center there will be Filipinas who speak and understand English very well.  The average Filipina can get by in English and will pick it up quick when she moves in with you. :whistling:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The average Filipina can get by in English

Yes dave I agree, what I have found is that if you ask a simple type Question they will understand and can reply. Too deep a Question is where to me, The problems can occur, Event he pre school kids around me are getting to learn and I would hope I have and my Friends that visit my Area are a great help to them. Kids are Sponges for Learning so I feel that in a few words things will/can get better :smile:

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 7/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, Greg41 said:

In my 15 years plus being here I have found that most Filipinos understand English when you speak it to them. Many tho are hesitant to answer you with it especially if their friends are around to make fun of them. I don't think you will have a problem communicating wherever you end up.:thumbsup:  

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I once met a Filipina, in Dumaguete, who spoke and understood English better than most expats.  It is rare.  This lady was the instructor at Qualfon and thus was required to have exceptional skills.  The point is, anywhere there is a call center there will be Filipinas who speak and understand English very well.  The average Filipina can get by in English and will pick it up quick when she moves in with you. :whistling:

Absolutely true. My GF beats me on English word games every time.:huh:

• Love it 1