ALBIE FRASER

Albie Frazer
Posted
Posted

G'day. First time user and newly arrived again Expat. Need help with a question about Cell phone usage, may not be in the right place but hammering my head over a simple answer and know one replies lol

Q> Simply, I have a new Cell Phone and want to be able to buy something like Globe bla bla that I can use to call Landlines as well as the other services like back in NZ but keep getting told, you can't call a Landline for a Mobile, HELP?

Cheers and thx for whoever's time

REGARDS

ALBIE

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can certainly call overseas land lines from Globe or SMART cell phones from the Philippines (it's not cheap though).

You just type a + then the country code before the number (minus the first leading 0)

NZ is +64 - eg the Channel 3 number from overseas is +64 9 928 9000

I haven't had much luck trying to call local land line numbers.

However if you're going to do it on a regular basis then I'd suggest Skype or Viber because it will be a lot cheaper.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome Albie.

Albie Frazer
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

You can certainly call overseas land lines from Globe or SMART cell phones from the Philippines (it's not cheap though).

You just type a + then the country code before the number (minus the first leading 0)

NZ is +64 - eg the Channel 3 number from overseas is +64 9 928 9000

I haven't had much luck trying to call local land line numbers.

However if you're going to do it on a regular basis then I'd suggest Skype or Viber because it will be a lot cheaper.

G'day Geoff much obliged with the reply thank. I was talking more LOCAL, i.e. I want to make local LANDLINE calls and am wondering what type of plans other might have with using a CELLI? Cheers though mate thank you again ALBIE

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, ALBIE FRASER said:

i.e. I want to make local LANDLINE calls and am wondering what type of plans other might have with using a CELLI? Cheers though mate thank you again ALBIE

I'm not clear what you're asking, sorry.

Do you want to call local Landlines from your cell or do you want to call cell phones from your local Landline (which you can get installed in some areas but not others).

Albie Frazer
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I'm not clear what you're asking, sorry.

Do you want to call local Landlines from your cell or do you want to call cell phones from your local Landline (which you can get installed in some areas but not others).

Hey Geoff Sorry me old mate. Start again. I have a New Cell Phone. But I want to call Locally here in the Philippines from my Cell phone to both Cell Phones and Landlines, I was wondering about plans as there doesn't seem any calling plans to Land Lines from Mobiles, if I hear right and I'm STILL WAITING on Globe to answer? I confuse myself sometimes, must be getting old lol. Cheers Geoff

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Albie Frazer
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Cheers That looks easier, much appreciate the heads up, I'll be back, lol, ALBIE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Albie Frazer said:

Welcome!

I haven't done this myself, but I believe you can set up Skype (don't know about other apps) to call local numbers using Skype to create also a local number for yourself. Then you pay a rather small charge for unlimited calling within the country of your number.

I did this for USA and it is brilliant! I have a Skype phone number with a Seattle area code and have unlimited calls there, but I access it from here. If someone calls that number, it rings through my cell phone and usually the connection is crystal clear but with a 1 or 2 second delay at times. It's great especially when I am put on "ignore" and listen to lobotomy music waiting for a live rep. I am pretty sure you can do that here and that someone will tell you about that, if it is true...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Welcome!

I haven't done this myself, but I believe you can set up Skype (don't know about other apps) to call local numbers using Skype to create also a local number for yourself. Then you pay a rather small charge for unlimited calling within the country of your number.

I did this for USA and it is brilliant! I have a Skype phone number with a Seattle area code and have unlimited calls there, but I access it from here. If someone calls that number, it rings through my cell phone and usually the connection is crystal clear but with a 1 or 2 second delay at times. It's great especially when I am put on "ignore" and listen to lobotomy music waiting for a live rep. I am pretty sure you can do that here and that someone will tell you about that, if it is true...

I use Skype to call the UK - great, cheap and no issues with connection (as long as the internet is working!)

However, if you want to use Skype to call within the Philippines I do not believe it is any cheaper than using Globe etc - I may be wrong but this is what I recall.  

• Thanks 1