Price Negotiating, How Do You Handle It?

daisy
Posted
Posted
I absolutely abhor haggling for prices. Give me a real price and let's be done with it.
Try it one time and be able to get your haggled price, there will always be a different feeling of customer satisfaction... :hystery:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am either gonna have to get married or hire someone to shop for me... No patience when I'm feeling ripped off is one of my faults that I am trying and trying and trying and trying to correct... :hystery:

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted

My wife and I tag-team negotiating... I am a very good negotiator having done son in business my entire career (including in many Asian cultures, but on a business level). How we go at it is I assess the situation, determine what I feel is a reasonable settling price, think about the process from my and the sellers perspectives and develop a list of "intangibles" ... negotiating points that may have value to either myself or the seller, that are not directly related to the sell price..... feed all this to my wife along with the suggested strategy.. .she takes it from there... she has that indellible "never surrender" persistance that can outlast mine, together with the language, she has great success... not my approach, but then this is not my culture... she got us a great lease arrangement in Carcar and as I recommended, locked it in for 3 years.... so by the time the owner realized she was dealing with a foreigner... it was too late...we had a locked in low monthly rental cost for a house and lot, along with a locked in price for the three years we expected to need it. Now the challenge is getting our new house occupiable before the lease is up so we do not need to negotiate an extension..... that is my job though. She now realizes that negotiating is about far more than the end price if done correctly, and that is what she needed to be more successful in all negotiations....persistence was never a problem, that is in her DNA. In the end, we need to empower as our legacy........ :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Magakno to po? How much is this sirOuch super mahal talaga = ouch very expensive yes?Tawad naman kuya/mom, hindi politician ko=discount sir/madam i am not politician (smile as well, so you say i am not as rich as these politicians)Not your priceOk, kuya, bukas lang, after elections, and turn to leave. usually you get called back, some smiles always work out.But no matter what we know we always fall victim. My recent example of TODAYMy toy car burned the cylinderhead flange. Took it to a mechanic, he tells me 4500p for labor including some electrical works it needed around plus the price of spare parts. i agreed.They send the cylinderhead to the machine shop for polishing and checking if it is straight. They reply back to me that the machine shop charged 5000p, they had a receipt as well. No the price of the machine shop i doubt if it reaches the 700-800p for it.They have receipt, they have their hands on my still open car engine...i grinned but nothing i could do further....Being stabbed a good 4000p just because i thought 4500p for all is a great price....he knew how to bite me!!!!! hahahahaha!!!!!
Ouch is right... I almost hate to convey our very similar experience, but for informational purposes: My father in law and I were taking a trip to Cebu and we blew a head gasket on our Nissan car last summer, in front of San Fernando, north of Carcar. Not only did we get immediate assistance from the locals, to no avail as the water was ejected as fast as it went in... .clear head gasket failure... so what to do? Well, one of the guys flagged down a jeepney and came over to tell us for 100 php, they would tow the car back to our house... .no problem for me, no negotiating just anm immediate yes, put the FIL in the driver's seat and away they went. I went ahead and took care of our errands. When I got home, the neighbor had called their mechanic to look at it in our yard, he accurately diagnosed head gasket problems, I asked how much, he said, well, "should machine shop it" I agreed, so how much, he came back with 3200 php. I asked him to write down everything he was pricinf, he had everything from the gasket, to machining, to coolant, etc... and labor. He estimated 800 for machine shop, but the receipt came back with the machined head at 650, plus I paid for their trip to and back from cebu, my FIL was the banker on the trip and verified the cheaper price... without him would the receipt have said 800??? or more??? Probably.... but it was nicely machined, I checked with an indicator (I am an ex-machinist)... so OK, they did the whole thing, in my yard in just over 1 day of total downtime for 3800, as I was pleased with the work, the service and not to mention the cost was pretty reasonable. My wife's advice for her father to be our eyes and ears was great and probably saved us from being scammed even a little, but all in all, these guys were just happy to show a foreigner their skills, it was all about impressing me that they could do it... I have a mechanic for life.
  • Like 3

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i use to have my wife and brother in law do the price negotiating for me, but i have bought a lot of material at the same hardware they will deal with me now, i get my list get the price and than tell the owner see what you can do, he has always come off the list price, my wifes cousin works for a differant hardware and i get price from him also, so i have a good idea, I have built one house and finishing another, and my new brother in law wants to build now, my lead carpenter tells the owner i will buy a lot more material if the price is good, and having bought from him i get delivery fast, it is just a matter of doing business local, and they get to know you, i can also get material now and pay later, I also deal in cash, no checks or atm cards.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Smile and haggle in a friendly way goes a long way. I have no problem asking a lower price here in the States. Often get it too. In Philippines I let my wife or her sister do the talking and keep my big Kano self out of eye sight. :nudie:

• Like 1