The Philippines: Asian and Spanish in One Place

Ranger Andy
Posted
Posted

Here’s another very cool place to visit.

5E93F1FC-A4F2-461C-8288-DB03803707F1.jpeg

Marcos Twin Mansion, a Monument Mansion located at Brgy. Casile, Cabuyao City.  It was owned by the 10th President of the Philippines, Ferdinand Marcos - just one of at least fifty upscale residences built and owned by former Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos.

Also the Filming location of:   ‘Haunted Mansion’ (2015 film) 

It was closed when I went there but it seems to be a very popular tourist destination.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 7/12/2019 at 4:22 AM, Ranger Andy said:

I’m usually just an invisible guest on here, but felt like saying hi for a change.

I’m up late packing for my next trip to the Philippines. I love it there for visits since Yanks like me appreciate Spanish or is it Mexican food?

The adobo, kalderata, menudo, etc. are not to be found in Malaysia, but we have plenty of noodles, rice, and spring rolls.

Looking forward to some good eating again!

When you come and find some authentic tasting Mexican food please tell me where!:dance: Haven't found anyplace yet.

Ranger Andy
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

When you come and find some authentic tasting Mexican food please tell me where!:dance: Haven't found anyplace yet.

If you really want to find truly authentic tasting Mexican food, you’ll need to go to Mexico (the country).  I know this because I’ve been there.  What I’m talking about are foods that have Mexican and Spanish origins in the Philippines, including lechon.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I prefer TexMex to authentic Mexican food. I used to work with a bunch of Legal Immigrants in the US.

• Like 1

Ranger Andy
Posted
Posted

There’s a new trend in Metro Manila, Fil-Mex restaurants.

B07FFDC9-DCF0-4449-931F-C67681029C23.jpeg

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

How did you find the food, was it good?

Ranger Andy
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Old55 said:

How did you find the food, was it good?

Very yummy!  Masarap!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I spent several months in Mexico on three separate occasions.

Authentic Mexican cooking - at least what I enjoyed - was way simpler than Tex-Mex. When in Acapulco, I deliberately wandered around in a non-tourist, locals only neighbourhood until I found a restaurant packed with locals having lunch. That food was simple yet so wonderful and tasty - I loved it. And elsewhere, to have a street taco, or enchilada - again, so simple with just a bit of meat, maybe some beans and the wonderful Mexican cheese with some salsas on top - heavenly.

But, having said that, I try to make my Mexican food with those experiences in mind, but I embellish them so they end up Tex-Mex. Can't help it... I like sour cream and guacamole, onions, etc.. But I use small amounts of very strong cheddar or even Parmesan or other sharp cheese to try to recreate that more authentic taste. Sadly, I cannot wash it down here in Davao with Dos Equis or some other local Mexican beers...:sad:

• Like 1

Ranger Andy
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Sadly, I cannot wash it down here in Davao with Dos Equis or some other local Mexican beers...:sad:

No Corona in Davao?

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Come to Dumaguete and ye shall find.