Police Powers or the lack of them

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I think we have a member who has a relative in the PNP. Or maybe someone has researched the topic.

There recently was a high profile bank robbery here in Manila. Seems that when the police responded they were denied access to the crime scene for quite a while (if I understood the news right :571c66d400c8c_1(103):). I know that the PNP can not enter a subdivision unless invited by the HOA because it is private property.

Is this lack of police power a hang over from the Martial law era maybe?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

I think we have a member who has a relative in the PNP. Or maybe someone has researched the topic.

There recently was a high profile bank robbery here in Manila. Seems that when the police responded they were denied access to the crime scene for quite a while (if I understood the news right :571c66d400c8c_1(103):). I know that the PNP can not enter a subdivision unless invited by the HOA because it is private property.

I have no knowledge on this, but wouldn't a resident in a subdivision be able to request police attendance in the event of an emergency etc?  If they had to await HOA approval it would be too late to investigate a crime in many instances.  I can understand they need to be invited in but not necessarily by the HOA itself.  

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

If they had to await HOA approval

I am speaking from memory here, but when Pres. D was elected and the PNP started doing the drug crack   down, the PNP could not set up stings or surveillance with out permission. I am sure an individual resident can request the police at any time. But have you ever noticed that you rarely see a patrol car in a sub division?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, scott h said:

I am speaking from memory here, but when Pres. D was elected and the PNP started doing the drug crack   down, the PNP could not set up stings or surveillance with out permission. I am sure an individual resident can request the police at any time. But have you ever noticed that you rarely see a patrol car in a sub division?

I have never ever seen a police officer, far less a patrol car, in my sub-division - that's after almost 5 years. There must have been instances but I haven't seen any.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Regular police patrols and Barangay patrols in my area

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

I have never ever seen a police officer, far less a patrol car, in my sub-division - that's after almost 5 years. There must have been instances but I haven't seen any.   

I never see any in my neighbourhood - not in cars on foot or on bikes. Supposedly the barangay has a regulation for not parking during the day along the so-narrow roads, yet many are parked there all day. And the tricycles (yeah, back to tricycles again!) love to park across the street from each other or from cars or motorcycles. Maybe they are trying to slow traffic? Or stop it completely? But I always see police cars at night, with lights a-flashing across from the local mall, behind it and on another side, plus away down the main highway. I hope those guys have sweet dreams while sitting there...

• Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, scott h said:

Even the mayor was denied access. The mayor was so angry that he declared a high alert to the PNP  So the commander called all of the PNP precincts to wake them up so they could go out to the police cars and turn on the blue lights for no apparent reason!:shock_40_anim_gif::hystery::crack-up:

• Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

In my subdivision the police cars are seen aplenty 3 or 4 days before Dec. 25th handing out envelopes looking for donations to augment their xmas party. I always donate.:mellow:

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Regular police patrols and Barangay patrols in my area

So..THAT'S where all the cops are!!:6:

• Haha 1