Post up your favorite cars and car stories!

graham59
Posted
Posted

Here is the local newspaper ad' from the early 80s, when I eventually sold the 3 litre Cortina.

I had used it as my daily driver, for work, and covered 20,000 miles in it, during which time it had never missed a beat or needed any attention...apart from routine servicing (by me).

I was pretty proud, because every 'nut and bolt' had been fitted or re-fitted by my good-self, and much of it 'non-standard'.  :smile:

My Cortina V6.jpg

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Another oldie , a Ford Anglia , 1949, yours for £6995.

My uncle Jack had one of these .

ABCCCEB1-22DA-4FCD-B4E8-7C6DE650423F.jpeg90BDF4F9-8580-4BC0-A304-94C868DCA946.jpeg

• Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Steve.....

My friend's dad had one... when we lived in Malaya/Singapore. (We had a Austin A35).

Needs a big V8 sticking in there... plus a 9" back axle . :biggrin:

Here's my boy admiring such a beast at a car show in England:   :smile:

Photo25_22.jpg

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

Steve.....

My friend's dad had one... when we lived in Malaya/Singapore. (We had a Austin A35).

Needs a big V8 sticking in there... plus a 9" back axle . :biggrin:

Here's my boy admiring such a beast at a car show in England:   :smile:

Photo25_22.jpg

And here is me thinking that was you with long hair.

graham59
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, stevewool said:

And here is me thinking that was you with long hair.

Haha... he'd be about 13 there.... and going through his 'rock look' period. Of course he is now (at 25) a very talented part-time lead guitarist in a band,  along with his successful career in IT management for one of the world's largest insurance companies. :smile:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Of course he is now (at 25) a very talented part-time lead guitarist in a band,  along with his successful career in IT management for one of the world's largest insurance companies. :smile:

Sounds like you did a great job raising your boy! And he loves cool cars too! Can't do any better than that!

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Sounds like you did a great job raising your boy! And he loves cool cars too! Can't do any better than that!

Thanks Tommy.

From the day he opened his eyes to this world, he was a complete joy to me,  (and others)  and still is. He came to live full-time with me at 14 years. His mum is a Filipina, of course. 

I am blessed.  :thumbsup:

Here he is aged 11 years, with some famous cars, when I took him to the theme parks in Orlando. We had a fantastic time there, just the two of us.  :smile:

PICT0008.jpg

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it is a shame for us Brits that we did not have the Chevy for us to Enjoy but came across this Photo earlier this Morning and I have to Admit we Brits missed out :wow:

cars cevys.jpg 

Jack :smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yep... gorgeous.  I had the Dinky Toy versions though. :biggrin:

There was of course that lovely late 50s Vauxhall series. Our British 'equivalent' ?

I believe Vauxhall were already owned by General Motors, by that time. 

Here's the poshest version... the 'Cresta' . Very flash. : :smile:  (Sadly, they were also very prone to the rust bug, so not many survivors).

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
On 8/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, graham59 said:

(Marina)

The BL stop-gap car, intended to compete in the company rep' fleet market, using mainly old tried and trusted mechanics , ugly booted variety, or more stylish 'fastback'.  

At that time I had one of its direct competitors,  a brand new Hillman Avenger . Lovely, great handling car,  and driven very (too) enthusiastically by Graham the 20 year-old trainee rep'.  Gave it back in after 12 months and 32,000 miles... most of the body panels having been repaired or replaced during that time. :unsure:

I think £7,500 is a bit rich for what was a very mundane, basic vehicle.   A rarer 1.8 TC,  perhaps. 

Back in the day, all us young reps wanted was a lovely big MK3 Cortina . The dream machine they were. 

My next job... that's exactly what I was given. Yey !  :dance:

For that money,  I'd be looking for a minter of one of those... or a Capri maybe.  

You won’t get much of a Capri for £7.5K. 

I have a P5B back in the UK, original and 27K, 2 owners from new, problem is its almost too good to use. 

• Like 1