Propane Use cost

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have a 4 ring with grill and oven the 11 kg bottle lasts about the same as the rest who have commented 2-3 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have a 4 ring with grill and oven the 11 kg bottle lasts about the same as the rest who have commented 2-3 months.

Likewise. I usually use a 22kg bottle which is about 4 months of usage. I have an 11kg as well as a spare while awaiting delivery on the other, lasts about 2 years like that.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, virginprune said:

Likewise. I usually use a 22kg bottle which is about 4 months of usage. I have an 11kg as well as a spare while awaiting delivery on the other, lasts about 2 years like that.

It all depends on what and how often you cook and I believe very subjective? Are you roasting things in the oven frequently? Are you cooking for 2, 3, 4 or more people? Are you cooking three meals a day or going out some days? Are you making coffee or tea every day? Do you cook rice like my L where she just boils it to death for 30 minutes? (she likes the burnt edges!). I think it really is a huge variable. More efficient units use the gas quickly while inefficient units take forever, but maybe end up using the same amount of gas? And it depends on the cookware you are using too and if you are outside (wind blowing really cools cooking pots) or inside.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So you agree then, that La Germania:

Because if you want any better then it is not "in the Philippines" and you have to import it.

I think they have improved just don't buy cheap

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

It all depends on what and how often you cook and I believe very subjective? Are you roasting things in the oven frequently? Are you cooking for 2, 3, 4 or more people? Are you cooking three meals a day or going out some days? Are you making coffee or tea every day? Do you cook rice like my L where she just boils it to death for 30 minutes? (she likes the burnt edges!). I think it really is a huge variable. More efficient units use the gas quickly while inefficient units take forever, but maybe end up using the same amount of gas? And it depends on the cookware you are using too and if you are outside (wind blowing really cools cooking pots) or inside.

I cook every day usually 3 meals. Some are stir fry many others are cooked with sauces. I like and cook Indian curries fairly often, when using beef or goat tjat is 2-3 hours on the hob. I use the oven frequently which again can be up to and longer 2 hours depending. Plain rice is cooked in a rice cooker, other styles on the hob. Kettle is electric, except during brownout. My pans are stainless steel high quality and copper pans from the UK. All cooking inside apart from bbq. I cook for 3 adults everyday sometimes more, last year there was 7 of us including a child. Then the 22kg lasted 14 weeks.

I think that covers all your questions.

Edited by virginprune
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am looking to find other experiences of propane use for comparison.

6 months or so ago, I switched from the typical 2-burner gas ring, that most Philippine houses have, to a 3-burner (plus oven) Germania gas stove.

Our propane bottle used to last 6 months, on average, when using the gas ring.  Now it lasts a maximum of 2 and a half months on the Germania, and that is without using the oven.  When we use the oven the gas lasts a considerably shorter time, depending on how much baking is done.

How does that compare with others out there?  I am wondering if the dang gas stove is leaking (cannot smell any gas) or just using a lot more than the gas ring.

I think you are doing great. We don't even bake and an 11kg gas bottle only lasts us usually under 2 months. We have a Germania stove and cook the food for our dogs on it every morning also. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

(she likes the burnt edges!).

My GF also. She says it reminds her of her childhood.:smile:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I think that covers all your questions.

That's good, Virgin! I think that will give others a great baseline to compare their use.

Sorry if I was sounding a bit pedantic, but I was reading and everyone was talking how many burners or ovens or brands without really expressing exactly their cooking habits. As you have described, you know really well what your usage is so hopefully the others can compare their mileage to yours. Thanks for the information! 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My electric one coil burner seems to use no gas. :rolleyes:

We have a two burner with oven Baby Belling which is also very frugal with the gas.