Dating sites that you pay to use

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I just found out about a "business opportunity" that many filipinas are taking advantage of.  Some foreigners may consider it a scam.  Filipinas consider it lucrative.

Certain dating sites charge the males to join and allow the filipinas to join for free.  However, lately there has been such a demand that these certain site have been paying the filipinas for each response they make to a new foreigner who subsequently replies to them.  They can then go on to the next "fish" or try to milk the guy for money.

My neighbor is doing it, which is how I found out.  She makes good money at it and her Filipino husband has no problem with it.  This same neighbor used to find guys on her own, through dating sites and Facebook, but her husband put a stop to it.  This new way is much more to his liking.

What do you think about this business opportunity?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What do you think about this business opportunity?

If this is really true, then I think it is a sad and sick continuation of some greedy Filipinas - with or without husband or boyfriend - to squeeze money out of "rich" foreigners... Users beware! It almost sounds like KAPA - get rich quick for nothing!

Edited by Tommy T.
Additional comment
  • Like 3
  • I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

get rich quick for nothing!

It is not getting rich, but it is a pretty good income stream.  It is not for nothing, the ladies have to put in the time to chat with the guys.  The problem seems to be that we have reached the point where more foreign males are looking than there are available filipinas looking.

It actually puts a smile on my face as it shows the naivety of so many foreign men who think they can join a dating site and pay the girl money to "reservere" her for when they come to visit.  I am not a fan of dating sites but others are so the thread is an advisory to do so at your own risk.

You ask if this is really true.  I had 2 good friends, (foreigners who are now deceased) who lived here on a low budget and encouraged their gfs to chat online for an income.  That way they did not have to give the girls an "allowance".  Neither of these 2 fellows believed in love.  They were the kind of men who believed that living with a lady was a matter of being convenient to both.  Each of these fellows could not keep a lady for more than a year but there were plenty of replacements that kept popping in.

So to answer if it is really true, I would not "out" my neighbor by publishing any of the pertinent facts.  However, if any foreigner knew a lady who wanted to get in on this income stream they could contact me.  I would not get involved with it myself but I could connect your lady with my neighbor to get her clued in.  Up to you.  I know there are some guys who think that naive foreigners deserve to be parted from their money and others who think it is scamming.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know there are some guys who think that naive foreigners deserve to be parted from their money and others who think it is scamming.

I guess you make some good points, Dave. Although I just do not agree with you on this last statement of yours... Or was this  a bit of humour on your part? I don't know, because I don't know you, but I think it was meant serious...

As we have seen from previous topics, there seem to be a lot of foreigners who date online or whatever and are thinking mostly or only with their small head, not the big one. I do have empathy for them, but I think they also need a cold water shower of reality to wake them up to what they are really doing and what is really happening on those sites? Agreed?

Maybe I am old fashioned? I met my girl, L online. She has turned out to be an incredibly wonderful woman - self motivated and hard working. She insists on paying sometimes when we go out to eat or do other things. Yes, I did some due diligence when I first met her and learned how she was self-sufficient and with a good background. It was also fortunate that I was already living here in Davao - as she does - so that made it very straightforward.

Before I came here, I met several women online in some sites and always found that there were some odd twists to their histories, or things that just did not ring quite true. Like Arizona Kid, I tend to be be untrusting and cautious - maybe that saved me from some possibly bad relationships? I will never know. I am just so blessed with L... I cannot say any more...

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

.  I know there are some guys who think that naive foreigners deserve to be parted from their money and others who think it is scamming.

For me, preying on the good will of others, manipulating, etc, Is scamming.   Reminds me of the one guy in prior thread who was used for fake lymphoma, etc and paid tons of $$$....Seriously P'd me off as my Dad died of lymphoma.   Then again, plenty of foreigners have done manipulation in reverse and lots of gals left high and dry here with kiddo by the "Johnny apple seeds" who "humped, dumped and ran."     I'm just glad I got lucky, because the more I read here and other places, the more I realize I really Did get Very lucky and though we met somewhere else in not the  best of circumstances, where she was a fish out of water, my Asawa has never wanted to be one of those scammers, but man oh man!, that could've gone a whole different and Bad direction if not.   Family is relatively poor, but they've never asked for much and have always taken good care of me when there, and mom and dad always did best they could to scratch out a living.   In the end, I can't blame someone there who is trying to survive for scamming.   As someone said earlier, more or less, Buyer Beware!

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

Family is relatively poor, but they've never asked for much and have always taken good care of me when there, and mom and dad always did best they could to scratch out a living. 

Great story, Nickleback! Mine is similar, really. L and family do not ask, do not need. I feel also, very lucky to have found this woman!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Or was this  a bit of humour on your part?

Not so much humor, but definitely trying to stir people up and get them thinking.  It was a bit strong, on my part, to say that certain foreigners "deserve" to be parted from their money.  I was thinking of the old phrase "A fool and his money are soon parted".  There is a part of me that wants to shake these guys who are sending money and say "Wake Up!  You cannot by a girl!  She does not need you to send her money!"  Of course that is still a bit strongly worded as there are some poor filipinas who see a "rich foreigner" as a saviour and it is normal that the foreigner will support his lady once there is an exclusive and real relationship.  But too many guys send money too fast and it just fuels this "business opportunity".

For those who are happily married, and met their lady online, and sent money, and found out later that the girl was "chatting" with lots of foreigners to get money. . . .  well in that case it does not matter to them as it is in the past and they are happy now.  I know one such couple.  Even a scheming little fox can change once she finds the right (rich) guy.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is not getting rich, but it is a pretty good income stream

Actually, Dave, I disagree a little bit here. For Filipinas, a few hundred pesos/month does seem to make them feel rich? Sure, only rich for a day but, compared to common wages, a few hundred extra pesos will make them feel rich for at least that day?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

For Filipinas, a few hundred pesos/month does seem to make them feel rich?

Oh its more than that.  My neighbors make as much as I do from my foreign pensions.  I am not rich so I do not consider them rich, but compared to the average guy in the squatter's hut they are rich.

• Like 2