Young female pickpockets.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

So be careful out there. Just remember, if kids are around you they are up to something and it's so easy to get distracted. 

Thanks for sharing that experience, Snowy. Always be aware of your surroundings, especially if anyone approaches you - that's my habit. Both L and I keep backpacks tight and hang onto one or both straps if we feel at all uneasy.

4 hours ago, Balisidar said:

I never carry my wallet in my back pocket.  Front pocket always.  I learned that many years ago...in the Philippines as a matter of fact.😁😂

Me too. Ever since mine fell out of my pocket in high school. The wallet was returned - including the Prom tickets! - but the few dollars went AWOL. Lesson learned cheaply.

But a cautionary note too. I know a guy who was walking alone in Fiji after a movie one night when two guys accosted him. One grabbed him from behind and locked his arms by his sides while the other simply grabbed the front pockets of his jeans and simply ripped them wide open and took his wallet. Like, it seems, most thieves are impressive sprinters and are gone so quickly. Amazing in this country where most things move slowly...

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been dipped once here. It was just after my daughter was born and I had to get some stuff. I was in a jeepney and had 2k taken from my from pocket. This would not have happened if I had enough sleep the previous nights. My wife was robbed at gunpoint and had a chain snatched from her neck, among other crimes committed against us there, this happened in Cebu city. It seems to be a problem in the bigger cities, I am very weary when street kids are about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I am very weary when street kids are about.

Another cautionary note. L was riding in a jeepney a few months back. A guy climbed on board and sat near her. When the jeepney stopped down the road a while the man on board and another on the street exchanged glances that L - already suspicious just by the guy's manner and appearance (big jacket and shifty eyes) - caught. She was very afraid and got off at a place where there were security guards outside and lots of people.

She also was in a wet market not too long ago. As she was waiting her turn, a woman sidled up next to here and covered her side and also L's purse with her coat or a wrap (don't remember which now). Again, L was feeling suspicious because that is what pickpocketers sometimes do - conceal their wandering hands and sticky fingers under clothing. L pulled away and glared at the woman who quickly walked away. She did not lose anything from her purse, but the zipper was already about half way opened by the woman. L didn't feel a thing, just noticed the odd cloaking mannerism...

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I got very lucky in Cebu a year or three ago. 

Most of us right-handed people keep out wallets in out right pocket (front or back).  One day I was a prime target of a pickpocket and caught her with her hand in my right front pocket.  There was nothing there.  For some unknown reason, I had the presence of mind to put my wallet in the front LEFT pocket which I almost never do.  She got nothing but a laugh out of me.  I had no intention of hanging around and trying to find a cop to charge her with attempted pickpocketing (if that is even a thing) so I made a joke about "I hope you got a good feel as there was nothing else in there".  Then I pulled her hand roughly from my pocket, hopped in the cab that had pulled up, and left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As an add onto my post this is the second time I've had someone attempt to pick pocket me.  Again the last time was also a distraction job. 

I was surrounded  by kids begging and pretending to be pushing each other out of the way so they could get money first and obviously some were getting pushed into me. Again I looked straight down and grabbed for my pocket.  Sure enough one kid who had his arms inside of his tshirt was dipping my pocket. This one was unfortunate as I lost my temper and squeezed his hand as hard as I could and lifted him into the air then launched him across the street. Probably not the best idea but I was in an area full of foreigners and my mate to the side of me.  The kids soon scampered. When  I say kid he was about my height but young. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TimL
Posted
Posted

I don’t even carry a wallet here. I just put my ACR card and either cash or my bank card in my front pockets. My phone I tuck in the wasteband of my shorts where I can always feel it. Luckily, I’ve never had anything like that happen yet. I always avoid kids here like the plague anyway but there’s not much that you can do to avoid them if a pack of them make a conscious effort to get near you. They’re pretty bold based on stories from others that I’ve read so, one should always remain on guard. Stay safe out there!!

• Like 2