Young female pickpockets.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think this is one problem I don't really have.  There are less 'rich foreigners' in CDO and I suspect that the 'pickpocket packs' never really developed here (not enough victims to maintain the income I think).

I'm not saying that there aren't people who'll try and steal from your backpack or pickpocket you but 'packs of kids' aren't really a thing here.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

One to look out for.  I was in Manila today and noticed 3 feral kids running in and out of traffic.  They were young girls about 14, 12 and 10. 

I was going to the Palawan to withdraw money and two of them ran in front of me.  The 12yr old put her hand out begging and at the same time the 14yr old grabbed me on both cheeks giving them a playful squeeze. 

I knew straight away what was going on and sure enough looking down the 10yr olds hand was just about to go into my pocket from behind. 

As soon as they realised they sprinted off.  I don't know what would have happened if she got her hand on my wallet as I can still sprint. They're too young to beat sense into and a white guy holding a kid by the throat wouldn't go down too well I think. 

So be careful out there. Just remember, if kids are around you they are up to something and it's so easy to get distracted. 

When I'm around a bunch of street kids like that, I keep my wallet in my front pocket with my hand in the pocket also. Out of curiosity do get your money from Palawan  express?:smile:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I think this is one problem I don't really have.  There are less 'rich foreigners' in CDO and I suspect that the 'pickpocket packs' never really developed here (not enough victims to maintain the income I think).

I'm not saying that there aren't people who'll try and steal from your backpack or pickpocket you but 'packs of kids' aren't really a thing here.

Here either in the small towns of Cavite.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Forgot to mention that if you are waiting in your car for your wife/GF at the market, and you give one of the beggar kids some money, you will soon be surrounded by the rest of the beggar kids. They have a word of mouth network apparently! .. I still give tho, I'm a sucker for needy kids.:smile:

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Forgot to mention that if you are waiting in your car for your wife/GF at the market, and you give one of the beggar kids some money, you will soon be surrounded by the rest of the beggar kids. They have a word of mouth network apparently! .. I still give tho, I'm a sucker for needy kids.:smile:

Yes that happens in CDO also... but they're really beggar kids.  Some of the family used to say not to give, later on they said too much, now SWMBO gives to them also haha.  I have noticed that if SWMBO gives them a little that it's less likely for a group to appear than if I give, so more often I give to her and she gives to them now.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Yes that happens in CDO also... but they're really beggar kids.  Some of the family used to say not to give, later on they said too much, now SWMBO gives to them also haha.  I have noticed that if SWMBO gives them a little that it's less likely for a group to appear than if I give, so more often I give to her and she gives to them now.

You also have a heart. Great!:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I'm a sucker for needy kids.

I was also a sucker for the apparently needy kids in the past.  But having seen the kids I gave money to getting high on Rugby or buying fireworks or giving the money to some much older kid (or adult) I find it VERY rare that the needy kids are asking for money.

I will not say there are no needy kids, but they are most often the ones who are shy and "put down" and not coming near to ask for handouts.  I would say it is an art form picking out the real needy kids from the ones who have learned the profession of begging, but it can be done.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

A few years ago one evening at Park Mall in Cebu I saw apparent undercover cops collar some very young children (5-7yo) while some early teens who were probably accomplices looked on from a distance.

Friendly advice: line the bottom of your backpack or butt bag with chicken wire. This will cause great frustration to modern-day 'cut-purses' who carry VERY sharp blades and lurk in  crowds for the purpose of cutting bags to see what falls out.

Shirts that have one or two pocket which button are better to keep wallets safe.

We will frequently give to old beggars.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 5