Posted
Posted

Let's start here, Brett.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

>Tommy, it wasn't made clear to me at the time, but can you complete the application process whilst on a tourist visa in PI?  Each official I asked gave me a different answer.<

Simple answer is yes. I did exactly that. There was an error on the PRA website that has perpetuated to some other places and forums giving one bit of wrong information...

I have not looked at the website recently, so maybe they updated it - I suggested to them that they should.

I see you are Australian so possibly things are a bit different, but here was my experience...

They were very nice people at PRA here in Davao. They handed me a brochure which was up to date.

According to the web page, foreign nationals must obtain a police clearance in their home country and have it "authenticated," by an embassy or consulate in that country.

In fact, the woman at PRA told me that I could do this entirely while in the Philippines. I simply went online and was able to obtain a police clearance from the Washington State Police - for a fee of $10? or something like that. I received it immediately while online and printed out several copies.

I had to make an appointment at the US Embassy in Manila for two weeks later. The embassy, there, does the authentication, which is - as I see it - simply a notarization stating that I, in person, presented that clearance to them and they verified my identity. I had to hand-write a note saying this was a true and accurate statement, and sign it. They told me exactly the working to use - very easy. Cost me US$50, I think?

Then I went directly to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), filled out some paperwork (I brought several small passport type photos with me too you will need those) and took a number to wait. 45 minutes later my number came up. They checked my passport...again... I went to pay their fee for expedited service - maybe 500 pesos or so? - and told to return the next day at the same time.

There it was waiting for me, correct and right on time. But I almost was not permitted inside because I didn't read the signs about "dress code" and was wearing flipflops... I begged the guard and entrance staff and they gave me a break. I was wearing a nice shirt and jeans so almost passed anyway.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Thanks, when the time comes, I'll just bring my police clearance with me or go through the NBI process and do the medical locally. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Thanks, when the time comes, I'll just bring my police clearance with me or go through the NBI process and do the medical locally. 

No worries, Mate! Sounds good! Yeah... medical gets done locally but make sure it is recognized by PRA if done outside the country. PRA was super helpful and had lists of approved clinics, banks for the deposit. Here in Davao, there were several steps and it took two days of running around and, ahem, obtaining some samples... It was not expensive and not extensive. NBI takes a month - at least here - and another small fee...

Oh, I forgot to mention. The DFA office in Manila that I went to was located near Mall of Asia. The internet showed others, but the hotel staff and even taxi driver told me to go to that one office - I think it is their main office?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just a post to answer right off the bat, any questions with regards to the SRRV.

Requirements as they stood this year:  

• Completed and notarized PRA application form;
  • Passport with current visa;
  • Medical examination clearance (either completed by a licensed physician abroad and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy, or a PRA medical certificate completed by a licensed physician in the Philippines);
  • Police clearance from your country of origin or, if you’ve stayed in the Philippines for more than 30 days prior to your SRRV application, you will need to obtain clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI);
  • Marriage contract;
  • Birth certificate;
  • 6 copies of 1”x1” and 6 copies of 2”x2” pictures;
  • Bank certification of dollar time deposit

You will also need to pay the following fees (may vary at time of application):

• Application fee – principal applicant: $1,500
  • Application fee – dependents: $300/dependent
  • Annual fee – covers 3 family members: $360
  • Annual fee – additional dependents: $100/dependent

Your deposit amount will vary depending on which class you apply for and more info can be found here:

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

It states deposits into accredited banks, I don't know which ones are accredited so you'd have to actually contact the PRA directly.  

If anyone that has successfully gone through the process is willing to share their experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

No worries, Mate! Sounds good! Yeah... medical gets done locally but make sure it is recognized by PRA if done outside the country. Here in Davao, there were several steps and it took two days of running around and, ahem, obtaining some samples... It was not expensive and not extensive. NBI takes a month - at least here - and another small fee...

We have 4 tiers of police checks in Australia, both federal and state, with and without fingerprints, varying expense and it's not clear anywhere which one is required for the visa.  NBI, surprisingly, may be the path of least resistance in this case. 

• Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are also several levels - at least in Washington State - city police, county sheriff, state police. I Googled "police clearance," and it was very clear that the real authority was at the state police. Their website listed clearances as one of their services and they were very good about it. I even got a phone call here to ask a question about my name spelling to make sure they created the letter correctly. (I ordered a written letter to be sent to my mail forwarder in addition to getting the online version - I figure you can never be too careful. If you lived outside of P.I. in your home country, you must have police clearance from there. You also must have NBI clearance here if here for more than 30 days. I am sure somebody here will correct my guesses... Once all papers are submitted to PRA, allow one to two months. Mine took six weeks - mainly because Easter and other holidays slowed it down.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Police clearance from your country of origin or, if you’ve stayed in the Philippines for more than 30 days prior to your SRRV application, you will need to obtain clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI);

They told me I needed the "country of origin" police clearance even though I had been here for almost a year since and not been back to USA for over  1 1/2 years.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

We have 4 tiers of police checks in Australia, both federal and state, with and without fingerprints, varying expense and it's not clear anywhere which one is required for the visa.  NBI, surprisingly, may be the path of least resistance in this case. 

I just needed to submit driver's license number, complete name and address and also some other identity verifications .

• Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

Brett,

I read through the requirements for the Expanded Curtesy SRRV and they finally changed it to say "Certificate by the Concerned Organization/Agency pertaining to his Achievement".  It used to specifically require a DD214 form which is the US discharge papers and that was the sticky point as many workers follow the printed guidelines verbatim.

Yes you can complete you SRRV while under a Tourist Visa.  If the PRA thinks you will need to extend it they will charge you for it and take care of it during the processing as they will have your passport.

As a non-military single person I have not decided if the SRRV is cost effective for me yet.  Th annual cost for a Tourist Visa runs about $360 as it stands now so I would be out the application fee of $1500 and not be able to touch the deposit.  

• Like 3