SRRV Process and Discussion

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

As a non-military single person I have not decided if the SRRV is cost effective for me yet.  Th annual cost for a Tourist Visa runs about $360 as it stands now so I would be out the application fee of $1500 and not be able to touch the deposit.  

Hobbit, I can offer my reasoning to do this and why it seemed like a good thing...

Aside from the application fee, the annual cost is about the same either way. You could (and I plan to) use the deposit for another investment after you have received your srrv, such as toward leasing your condo or apartment or home. They gave me papers to apply but I haven't looked them over yet.

One benefit I like is that I don't have to go to BI any more and only go once annually to PRA and pay the fee.

Another is that, it is lifetime so long as I continue to ante up the annual fee. No more applications.

Thirdly, I don't have to leave the country if I stay up to the tourist visa limit of 36 months.

One more, whenever I depart the country, I no longer need to obtain clearance.

I don't need to buy an onward ticket to prove that I have a departure plan so returning from another country is very easy now.

Lastly, I think, now that I have this visa, I could finally get the Philippine driver's license.

There are actually a few additional benefits regarding work visas but I don't know anything about those.

So the long and short is that it's not for everyone, but for some - like me - it seems like a good solution to long term staying here.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

Brett,

I read through the requirements for the Expanded Curtesy SRRV and they finally changed it to say "Certificate by the Concerned Organization/Agency pertaining to his Achievement".  It used to specifically require a DD214 form which is the US discharge papers and that was the sticky point as many workers follow the printed guidelines verbatim.

Yeah, it was only relatively recently for PI, around 5 - 6 years ago, they announced it.  They only updated the website at the beginning of '17 I think, so as usual things take time to filter through.  

It was actually a member here, JJReyes, that made us all aware of it when it was announced.  At the time, he used to do a lot of liaison between PI authorities like BI, PRA etc and the US I believe.  I should qualify my initial remark by saying that the consulate in Brisbane was completely unaware until they made inquiries themselves.    

Much like you, the other SRRV options aren't really a consideration given the cost benefits, or lack thereof.  Yeah you can invest the deposit in property, or used to be able to, but for me that's a bit of a waste as we already own a lot and house about 2 hours North of Dumaguete.  I guess an AirBnB investment could be an option?  I didn't look too closely at the requirements on that front as they didn't/don't really apply to me and may not still be allowed. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hobbit, I can offer my reasoning to do this and why it seemed like a good thing...

Aside from the application fee, the annual cost is about the same either way. You could (and I plan to) use the deposit for another investment after you have received your srrv, such as toward leasing your condo or apartment or home. They gave me papers to apply but I haven't looked them over yet.

One benefit I like is that I don't have to go to BI any more and only go once annually to PRA and pay the fee.

Another is that, it is lifetime so long as I continue to ante up the annual fee. No more applications.

Thirdly, I don't have to leave the country if I stay up to the tourist visa limit of 36 months.

I don't need to buy an onward ticket to prove that I have a departure plan so returning from another country is very easy now.

Lastly, I think, now that I have this visa, I could finally get the Philippine driver's license.

There are actually a few additional benefits regarding work visas but I don't know anything about those.

So the long and short is that it's not for everyone, but for some - like me - it seems like a good solution to long term staying here.

Retracting some of my previous points based on your post Tommy :cheers:

• Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for listing the benefits so concisely Tommy, it will help me in making my decision as some I keep forgetting about. 

Yes, the annual cost is about the same but the application fee and the deposit is the sticky point for me.  Payback for the application fee of $1500 is at least 3 trips out of the country (including lodging, meals, etc. if I travel nearby, including an onward ticket), so about 12 years.  The deposit on the other hand is the main issue.  I have looked into what is an approved usage and it is quite limited, limited to an approved condo and specific language must be included in the deed on any purchase or lease.  

I have also read that if/when you quit the program it can take a year to get your deposit back.

• Thanks 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Yeah, it was only relatively recently for PI, around 5 - 6 years ago, they announced it.  They only updated the website at the beginning of '17 I think, so as usual things take time to filter through.  

It was actually a member here, JJReyes, that made us all aware of it when it was announced.  At the time, he used to do a lot of liaison between PI authorities like BI, PRA etc and the US I believe.  I should qualify my initial remark by saying that the consulate in Brisbane was completely unaware until they made inquiries themselves.    

Much like you, the other SRRV options aren't really a consideration given the cost benefits, or lack thereof.  Yeah you can invest the deposit in property, or used to be able to, but for me that's a bit of a waste as we already own a lot and house about 2 hours North of Dumaguete.  I guess an AirBnB investment could be an option?  I didn't look too closely at the requirements on that front as they didn't/don't really apply to me and may not still be allowed. 

Actually I think it is more recent than that, maybe within the last year.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Retracting some of my previous points based on your post Tommy :cheers:

3 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

Yes, the annual cost is about the same but the application fee and the deposit is the sticky point for me.  Payback for the application fee of $1500 is at least 3 trips out of the country (including lodging, meals, etc. if I travel nearby, including an onward ticket), so about 12 years.  The deposit on the other hand is the main issue.  I have looked into what is an approved usage and it is quite limited, limited to an approved condo and specific language must be included in the deed on any purchase or lease.  

Glad I could help a bit, guys. Brett, I understand your feelings from your earlier post. Like I said, it is a personal decision. I thought for a long time about this - over 3 years - before deciding. The costs are high, but it was worth it for me for the convenience. I had been ticketed for "obstruction," which I think is the police and cttmo's favourite ticket. When I went to pay the fine and retrieve my USA license they gave me another ticket for invalid license since my passport showed last entry well over 6 months before. They "suspended" my USA license for a year and let's just say that sometimes I hedged a bit on that? Now at least I am totally legal. I guess, the way I see it, is that things are just so much simpler for me as I enter my dotage and am fortunate enough to be able to spare - at least temporarily - the funding for this visa. I didn't even think about any pay-back for the fee or all the other fees - NBI, medical, etc... Just running a standard tourist visa is fine too - I used a local tour agency located next door to BI and they took care of my renewals for a small fee - less than 500 each time, I think. Well worth it to me to not sit in the BI office and wait, go to window 1, then wait, window, then wait, all the way to window 5? I already forgot... But the main things for me were driver's license, exit clearance, return without buying ongoing plane ticket. Eventually I will look into the spousal visa, when that day comes...

I will still look into investing the deposit in our future home. Hobbit, maybe you can talk to a lawyer about how to deal with maybe using the deposit for your living situation? I have a - I know it is a contradiction in terms - good lawyer who said she can very legally make that all happen. But it may not work for you - as you already indicated.

So, good luck to us all!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I will still look into investing the deposit in our future home.

We have discussed this before somewhere and if it Involves Land I don't think you can do it as you are not married,the whole thing is centered around Purchasing a Condo ( which we can own) But then if your married I feel sure you would not be going down this road anyway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Jack, for your help. Yes, I am aware that, as foreigners, we cannot own the land. However my understanding from research online and from my attorney (and no, I don't trust any attorney implicitly!) is that a foreigner can make improvements on that leased land - including a house, condo, whatever, and actually own those separately from the land. Am I mistaken about this?

And, like you said, if or when married, things will be done differently...

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks, Jack, for your help. Yes, I am aware that, as foreigners, we cannot own the land. However my understanding from research online and from my attorney (and no, I don't trust any attorney implicitly!) is that a foreigner can make improvements on that leased land - including a house, condo, whatever, and actually own those separately from the land. Am I mistaken about this?

I don't think the improvements would count as security as selling them to a different party may not be possible. I certainly wouldn't allow subletting of a lease or transfer without my authorization if I were leasing property. I don't think the value of a lease would count or a condo lease would qualify, and I don't believe it does.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

An Old style UK Barrister told me once many years ago " Marriage Changes everything" Divorce ,changes Little except the balance your Bank account :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1