Has Anyone flown on Korean Air recently?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We flew KAL Two years ago because of the price they were the cheapest, just like me. It was OK nothing bad to say about them. In the future prefer to fly Asiana or Cathay. My guess is you will have a good flight no worries.

• Like 3

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I could be wrong but I doubt that Korean Air flies into North Carolina.  If the flight number is 4 digits, something like KE 2384 that is probably a codeshare flight with a U.S. airline partner.  No worries but you should be aware when you go to the airport.

You are near Atlanta and Delta is a big codeshare partner with Korean, so I would bet you will be on 1 or 2 Delta flights.  American Air is also a partner.

Yes- Korean Air is operated by Delta here so I have 1 Delta flight from Charlotte to Atlanta .Looks like I will fly Korean air /747  Atlanta to Seoul  ….

• Like 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I flew with them 2 years ago because they occasionally have great price specials.  Similar to any other cheap flight. As the post above me says, I also got the sense of being a second class citizen but I expected it because I was in the cheap seats.  I was not thrilled but the price was right.

I used Skyscanner to attempt to find the lowest prices.And I did get my tickets for round trip just under 1k USD.I can cancel If necessary but there is a 10% doc fee I think.Webjet/ Australia has a nicely detailed site to fine flights but seam to be more expensive overall.When I was much younger and flying on planes that were not that comfortable ,I could care less.But now as a old fart it would be so nice to fly first class :laugh:. A friend said don't put a bag under the seat because of leg room.I am just 5'8" but I guess it could make a difference on a long flight...

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

I flew them several years ago from Atlanta to Korea to Philippines in Coach.  Seats then were comfortable and the service was very good.  I did get the sense I was a second class citizen to the Korean flight attendants in relation to the Koreans on board, especially Korean men, but again, good overall.  Best treatment I’ve had overall in an Asian carrier from US to RP was in EVA, but I’m not sure they even fly or originate  beyond US west coast.  Was I a 747 and the arrogant Chinese businessman man :7481:was all over me with his Big ass newspaper....attendant saw this and said come with me (Oh yes!...I wish! :6:   But she did take me to the upstairs deck with more room and Great service.   :dance:

I can only hope for a flight as good as that one :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I always try to fly Korean Air. I love the airport in Seoul, and the service has always been good.  Even some of the little things, like the free slippers and toothbrush for the flight.  Free showers at Incheon is nice too.  I have always found them very attentive, and free booze in economy seats ain't bad either!  On my last flight me and the guy across the aisle had them going back & forth for more wine, I thought they would just leave the bottle ha ha :tiphat: 

Hope I will have enough time to get the free shower.And I'm not to tanked to get on my next flight :mocking:

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Patrol said:

Hope I will have enough time to get the free shower.And I'm not to tanked to get on my next flight :mocking:

Shower is huge, but private.  I could’ve had a party in there last time when flew Asiana...Maybe won’t fly alone next time!  Also, If one ever has long or overnight layover, plenty of free lounge chairs, etc on the same upstairs level to crash on, as well as a short stay hotel.  I was told it’s best to make a reservation beforehand for the hotel.  If in the lounging area, bring earplugs or noise cancel headphones, because all the floor cleaning is happening after hours. 

• Love it 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, KC813 said:

ICE--

Delta and Korean are Skyteam alliance partners, joint-venture partners and have a ton of flights with both KE and DL flight numbers.  As OMW noted, your first domestic flight is probably on Delta, the flight US-ICN can be either DL or Korean and then ICN-MNL will be on KE.  Your reservation will show the ‘operating carrier’ for each flight.

Whether your flight to ICN is on DL or KE metal, both use Incheon’s new Terminal 2 and make for a very easy connection.  Don’t forget Tim’s ‘free shower room’ tip!

KE’s service and legroom in coach is considered slightly above average.  But on any airline you can have good experiences and bad.  Different crews, different circumstances ... .   

All KE’s long haul and regional craft have seatback video systems, but always a good idea to bring some backup entertainment should the AVOD system crash.  Also, Westerners often complain the KE cabin is kept too warm, so may want to dress lightly or with removable layers!

The biggest downside for many on KE is no advance seat assignments.   If you prefer an aisle seat to get up frequently, the usual trick is to get to the check in counter right as it opens for your flight to have the best seat selection options.  That works if your first flight in on KE, but I’m not sure how seats on KE are assigned if you are starting the trip on a DL domestic flight.   (If your reservation already shows a seat assigned for you on the US-ICN flight, the you’re on a DL aircraft and can change your seats on delta.com). 

And finally, many consider it a ‘right of passage’ on a first KE transpacific flight to select the Bibimbap for your dinner meal!

Thankyou for the very informative post.I did read that KE keeps a cabin temp.of 73-77.Since I am cold natured that's cool :89:. And I have not seen any seat assignment info so far but the travel agency I used said they will email me info/options on  seating.So I hope to get a decent seat for my flights.Aiso I was sure they would serve the Bootle Fight meal on the extended flight but if not, the Bibimbap will be delicious :laugh:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

I hope to get a decent seat for my flights

I got stuck in a middle seat when I bought a cheap flight.  It seemed to me that they assigned those unwanted, middle seats to the people who paid the least.  I made do.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

Ice, I flew Korean Air 2 weeks ago, and to be honest with you I was a bit disappointed. Not long ago if I flew them it was a 1st class experience. But now it's more like flying an American airline where the only time you even get a smile is when you are getting off the plane. The flight is ok, but the aircraft are older models with small seats. I had 1 stop and 1 3 hour delay. Good luck with your flight. John

HaHa-I'm sure its always nice to have the smiling flight attendants.And  since this is my first flight on a jet I am truly hoping for a good experience.If I don't have any delays that's great but if I miss a flight...?  :shock_40_anim_gif:            Ice Patrol

• Like 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I got stuck in a middle seat when I bought a cheap flight.  It seemed to me that they assigned those unwanted, middle seats to the people who paid the least.  I made do.

It does seem like a isle seat would be desirable fore sure.I will definitely try to snag one of those.... Thankyou for the insight Dave