Has Anyone flown on Korean Air recently?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Been flying yearly between N.Amer and MNL for the last 16 years, usually with either KE or China Air. The best price usually is with one of those  although ANA seems to have given me a better deal last year. 

I bought a round trip KE last Nov, with a  return leg 6 months after arrival. In Dec or Jan I received a notice of itinerary change from my ticket source, re my KE return flt. in late April.  

Said my return leg from Inchon to Seattle flt number was no longer operational and gave me a replacement KE flt. number and arr/dep. times.  

My new schedule required me to depart Inchon for Seattle one hour BEFORE I ARRiVED on my flight from MNL.

Unsurprisingly (to me at least),  all attempts to contact KE to alert them to this absurd scheduling error ,failed.  Phone numbers, emails, etc.... even with my VIP, were of no avail in my attempt to contact one of their living, breathing service reps..... if they exist.

So I figured,  since its their F.Up, they can sort it when I show up at the MNL airport.

Which they did.  

I rejected their first solution, which was to have me wait in the MNL airport for 10 hours, and then have another 10 hour layover in Inchon.  I already had a good booking for my MNL to Inchon leg, so I told them to put me up in Seoul/INCH.... which they did.

They bused me to the Grand Hyatt, gave me vouchers for dinner, breakfast and lunch the next day, and put me up in the nicest hotel room I ever stayed in during my life.  Bathrobe and slippers provided along with the ceiling rain shower, soak tub, computerized bum service toilet etc.  Coffee, tea  maker etc, without any out of pocket costs.

So in this instance.... I have no complaints about KE.  They gave me the best mini-vacation I ever had.  Nice gardens, pools, etc at this first rate place.  The assistant director of the rest chatted me up for 1 hours since he had worked at Hyattt in Guam, where his son was born (making him eligible for US citizenship. )  So I made a new friend to boot.   

This screw up worked out for me in spades, but the contact element with a KE service rep. was a total failure.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Ice Patrol said:

And  since this is my first flight on a jet I am truly hoping for a good experience

Don't forget to purchase your travel insurance.

• Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

I have never flown KE but have heard the experience is worth it.  Absolutely try the Bibimbap on the flight, it is their signature dish!  If one of your flights is on a 747 be sure to take photos of it as KE is one of a few airlines still flying the passenger 747, the last of an era.

Transiting through Inchon is the shining star of KE, it is considered one of the best airports in the world and I know people who choose their flights to make sure they go through it.

I have heard lately that economy service on serval airlines has degraded in the last couple of years.  EVA Air used to be great as I understand but their service now suffers.  Same with several of the Chinese carriers.  Seems they are starting to use the American model for economy service, not a good thing for long distance traveling.  

I loved flying ANA when I made my first trip here 5 years ago even though everything is a blur coming out and going back. :laugh:  Food and the entertainment was good I do remember but I was so wiped from not being able to sleep in either direction that I don't remember much else!

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 7/23/2019 at 11:35 PM, KC813 said:

The biggest downside for many on KE is no advance seat assignments. 

Since when? I have always reserved my seat during the booking process.

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Since when? I have always reserved my seat during the booking process.

You are right.  My statement was too broad.  The way I understand it, people buying in First class, Business class, and the higher economy fare classes can choose seats.  But if you buy economy in the lowest-priced fare classes (N & T), no seat assignments.

Since I could never get a seat assignment until check in, easy to figure out my purchasing habits!

• Like 1

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Don't forget to purchase your travel insurance.

I saw nothing about travel ins. when I booked with this particular travel agency . it was my understanding that I could cancel my flight anytime , but I may be subject to a 100 USD doc fee.Also I am insured by the Credit card I used.I will be surprised if the travel agent does not send me a ins. offer at some point.....

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, KC813 said:

You are right.  My statement was too broad.  The way I understand it, people buying in First class, Business class, and the higher economy fare classes can choose seats.  But if you buy economy in the lowest-priced fare classes (N & T), no seat assignments.

Since I could never get a seat assignment until check in, easy to figure out my purchasing habits!

I buy the cheapest sets I can get (usually on Travelocity) and always reserve seats.  If there are cheaper tickets I would like to find them ha ha but I do like my aisle seat for long flights (window for short flights).

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

I saw nothing about travel ins. when I booked with this particular travel agency

Travel insurance used to be a big seller.  Easy money with no claims as the insurance company just negotiated with the airline to pay out.

Recently I found out things are different.  Most airlines I travel with claim no responsibility for any late or cancelled flights or missed connections due to "acts of God" and tell you that is what travel insurance is for.  The travel insurance companies have been hit with some claims and it is no longer the profit maker it once was.  It has pushed the cost of travel insurance high enough where I don't buy it anymore.  i pay my money and take my chances that the flight will not be delayed beyond my transfer time.  I have been caught a couple of times and had to buy new tickets but the cost of travel insurance would have been higher if I had purchased it every trip I made.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Ice Patrol said:

I saw nothing about travel ins. when I booked with this particular travel agency . it was my understanding that I could cancel my flight anytime , but I may be subject to a 100 USD doc fee.Also I am insured by the Credit card I used.I will be surprised if the travel agent does not send me a ins. offer at some point.....

I'm not sure, but perhaps the question was not just about flight issues, but also for other travel issues - medical being a big one.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

medical being a big one

Medical Insurance?  When coming to the Philippines for a month?  I certainly am curious how many bother with that.  I certainly never have.  It is possible to be hit by a bus or a truck where the owner/operator has no license, money or insurance.  Then you are hit with a huge hospital bill, but beyond that and pre-existing conditions (which are not covered) what on earth would you need medical insurance in the Philippines for?  Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay for any medical things that come up?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 3