Why are Filipinos such bad drivers?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I have been accused of being crazy a few times (and maybe rightly so?). But I still drive at night, but as seldom as possible. The people crossing where there are no crosswalks and wearing dark clothing, the high-beam headlights, the fast, crazy bike riders, aggressive taxi and jeepney drivers certainly don't make it easy. So I just try to drive slow and carefully as possible and try to look two or three times all around before changing lanes or turning. And, even then, I have had some close calls with someone zipping up on one side or the other - sometimes even without headlights or tailights! My night vision is okay, but I get flares and stars from the bright lights. I hate this getting old crap!

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

There was an accident last around 9pm,this was on the highway between Robinsons mall and Valencia no lights no helmet couple dead when will they learn. Don`t bother answering as I already know.

Can be a bad stretch of road how ever I consider the worst is between Dauin and Dumaguete especially once dark, like a drag strip and many no lights here.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Can be a bad stretch of road how ever I consider the worst is between Dauin and Dumaguete especially once dark, like a drag strip and many no lights here.

Once you get past Santa Rosario estate the traffic dies down but that far up the hill is nearly in the boondocks and they don`t know how to drive. I have heard of 2 fatal accidents on that road in the past 6 weeks and both in that area. You will see children up there riding MBs probably sent by drunk dad for more red horse.

benrye27
Posted
Posted

I don't want to sound condescending but I know that most PUV drivers are uneducated and just got their license through fixers before. There's a lack of knowledge with traffics signs and rules. Although they're trying to reprimand fixers, it's still easy for Filipinos to get a license or renew it. For private vehicle owners, I've already witness a lot of entitled drivers without consideration for the safety of others. You will always have to adjust for them when they try to cut lane because they think that their time is more valuable than the others. 

RobH
Posted
Posted

Getting a drivers licence here is a joke, when I went to the LTO , my wife went with me (I am not allowed out on my own incase I get taken away by strange women) She thought it would be a good idea to have a drivers licence, so she got a student licence and was told to come back in 6 months to get a full licence, she's never driven anything in her life, although she claims to have ridden a bicycle. I can never relax driving here you need to be super alert all the time. The thing that really bugs me is the complete lack of road markings. no stop lines. Tricycles that go from a main road to a side road will often cut the corner and be on the wrong side of the road. Well as they say its more fun in the Philippines.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RobH said:

The thing that really bugs me is the complete lack of road markings. no stop lines.

Welcome to the forum, Rob.:smile:

Here, there really are road markings - in some places. Where there aren't any, yes, it is freeform dodgem.

Where there are lines, most people ignore them - probably don't know why they are there? And you are correct that you have to be alert, don't relax and don't be in a rush. Try to expect the unexpected.

I'm not sure, but it seems you might not have read this topic from the start... Many of us have told our litanies of poor driving already and perhaps you may learn some more - unless you have been here in Phils. a while already?

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Tricycles that go from a main road to a side road will often cut the corner and be on the wrong side of the road.

You didn't mention motorcycles, jeepneys, taxis, bicycles or private cars or buses or trucks? They drive like that too - mostly...:shock_40_anim_gif:And pedestrians don't watch where they are going - even in shopping malls.

I am sort of getting used to it, but I avoid driving when possible... can't avoid the malls though.

Edited by Tommy T.
Add more comment.

RobH
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Welcome to the forum, Rob.:smile:

Here, there really are road markings - in some places. Where there aren't any, yes, it is freeform dodgem.

Where there are lines, most people ignore them - probably don't know why they are there? And you are correct that you have to be alert, don't relax and don't be in a rush. Try to expect the unexpected.

I'm not sure, but it seems you might not have read this topic from the start... Many of us have told our litanies of poor driving already and perhaps you may learn some more - unless you have been here in Phils. a while already?

You didn't mention motorcycles, jeepneys, taxis, bicycles or private cars or buses or trucks? They drive like that - mostly...:shock_40_anim_gif:

I am sort of getting used to it, but I avoid driving when possible...

Yes I have read this thread, but I seem to have forgotten most of it, I'm old well that's my excuse. I have been here for just over a year. I also try to avoid driving here, I would probably drive more if I knew that there was some chance finding parking when I arrived.

I make the wife take a tricycle to go shopping, its amazing how much stuff they get on a tricycle, I had 5 X 35feet bamboo poles delivered by tricycle, I bet that was fun going through the town, no flag on the back. One of the best ones I saw was a load of rebar on a tricycle with the back dragging on the ground sparks everywhere, probably a foot shorter by the time he got home. Traffic enforcement would probably help to improve driving standards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RobH said:

its amazing how much stuff they get on a tricycle,

Join the club (I guess you did already...), many of us, including Yours Truly are of advanced years. And many of us have the same issue - senior moments - memory lapses...:89:

You should see what the really talented drivers can put on motorcycles! I have seen six people (some riding on an extension board out the back), all carrying bags of all sorts with a guy carrying a pig under one arm and another with a chainsaw in hand. Helmets? Covered shoes? You've gotta be joking!

But you've gotta hand it to them - they get it done...

Edited by Tommy T.
alter content

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You should see what the really talented drivers can put on motorcycles!

Saw a new one last week.  Two guys on a motorcycle.  They were carrying a full sheet of 3/4 inch plywood  laying down flat and sideways.  Looked like a motorcycle with a giant wing.  They were sitting on it to try and keep it stable.   As my Filipino friends say; "Only in Da Philippines!"

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's some good news in Davao...

Late yesterday afternoon I was driving L and me home from her work. As we approached an intersection with stoplight and right turn and left turn (only) lanes, a big white Fortuner came alongside our left in the left turn only lane. I was already sort of tucked up to the car in front of me so the Fortuner driver eased in behind me as we went straight through the intersection.

Hahaha... one of several CTTMO boys who were there walked into the road and flagged down the Fortuner driver and waved him over to the JolliBee parking lot - presumably to write him a ticket. I was very pleased to see some traffic law enforcement. Sure, maybe the guy slipped him some pesos to let it slide, but I know it at least got his attention and he lost whatever advantage he thought he had from cutting through traffic and cheating.

No, I don't really get joy from another's troubles, but it did feel good to see some enforcement - put me in a great mood all night! There is much more police and CTTMO presence now than even just six months ago...

Edited by Tommy T.
Fix spelling
  • Like 1