Why are Filipinos such bad drivers?

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I respect your feelings and think I understand them.:smile:

And like I wrote before, there is road rage everywhere these days - or maybe just more reporting of it? So I don't think moving is the answer... I have slowed down my driving and am more cautious than ever. A guy I heard about a few years ago was hit, while stopped, by another driver. The other driver (Filipino) blamed the foreigner, "If you weren't here, then there would not have been an accident." How can you dispute that logic?

P700? Not worth the trouble. And from what I have read here and heard from others, maybe you call the police, the other guy slips them 2k and suddenly it's your fault for being there? I have also been advised that sort of a "rule" is that if your car is even one cm in front of another, you have right-of-way, no matter what you are doing, no matter where you are... Is this true?

I've always hear turn about is fair play. I might have to see the police supervisor in his office with the door closed. To submit my statement forms.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, robert k said:

I've always hear turn about is fair play. I might have to see the police supervisor in his office with the door closed. To submit my statement forms.

With something stuck to them? I like your idea!

Believe me... I really hope that would work. As it is, I have really little to no trust in the legal system here. Partially from what I read and hear and  bit from my own experience so far... Might (and money) makes right, it appears?

Meanwhile, you and I and the rest of us all have to be vigilant for the next doctor, lawyer, merchant or chief who decides to play tag with his car so he(or she) can get that ahead of us by that bare millisecond that seems so important... Sorry, Robert, but this whole subject strikes a nerve with me. I am much cooler about driving, but I still need a hit of Tanduay or a beer when I am done driving somewhere!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

With something stuck to them? I like your idea!

Believe me... I really hope that would work. As it is, I have really little to no trust in the legal system here. Partially from what I read and hear and  bit from my own experience so far... Might (and money) makes right, it appears?

Meanwhile, you and I and the rest of us all have to be vigilant for the next doctor, lawyer, merchant or chief who decides to play tag with his car so he(or she) can get that ahead of us by that bare millisecond that seems so important... Sorry, Robert, but this whole subject strikes a nerve with me. I am much cooler about driving, but I still need a hit of Tanduay or a beer when I am done driving somewhere!

If anything it makes me overcautious about hitting the shoulder when someone stops to turn because I don't want to be like the other drivers. If you aren't quick and traffic behind you starts doing it, you might as well get comfortable until the one turning gets their chance, but you don't have to worry about getting back into the traffic lane, count the small blessings.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, robert k said:

If anything it makes me overcautious about hitting the shoulder when someone stops to turn because I don't want to be like the other drivers. If you aren't quick and traffic behind you starts doing it, you might as well get comfortable until the one turning gets their chance, but you don't have to worry about getting back into the traffic lane, count the small blessings.

Exactly! I would rather have another day of life (not cut off because of high blood pressure or stroke?) than beat everyone to the next stoplight!:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I was told by gf that the going rate for a Philippines drivers liscence is 5t , I have driven in davao , I think that being a biker here in the UK helps , I'm always on  the look out  for idiots in cars 

I've seen more fatal accidents in mindanao than I have seen in 40 years of driving in the UK , last one was a truck who's brakes failed going down a hill,  he managed to send 6 or 7 to an early grave

When we went to siargo , gf wanted her cousin to drive , he treated the roads like a race track , dont worry he said , I am an excellent driver , he was over taking on bends and blasting through towns at 70 mph , I was told not to complain as it will hurt his feelings 

He obviously thought that driving fast impressed people , it seems to impress the philipinos 

When we go on a journey with her parents , it always starts off with a prayer, her mama being a pastor 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

I have driven in davao , I think that being a biker here in the UK helps , I'm always on  the look out  for idiots in cars 

Sorry, Baston... but unless you have driven for a while in Davao, you may have no clue. I have written in several topics my favourite advice and, at risk of being repeatedly redundant, I will share that once again: If you drive here, always try to be aware of your surroundings - all sides, front and back. Don't drive just defensively, drive assertively or you will never move.

As you proceed, consider everyone you see - in car, on bike, on foot - and try to imagine the absolute stupidist thing any and all of them might do.... because you will rarely be disappointed! People will turn unexpectedly and, of course without any signal - right into your path. Kids and/or dogs and parents will run right in front of you (especially at night while wearing dark clothing and rarely at crosswalks) and seem shocked if you honk your horn at them - they think they are alone on this planet! Motorcycles especially will turn onto the road in front of you without looking and then also seem shocked if you give them a horn honk - they have no idea that anyone is on the road but them.

I am not being sarcastic - I have seen all of this, and multiple times, and lots more... jeepneys routinely cut in front of traffic, roar 50 meters in the left lane, then slam on their brakes and cut to the right lane to drop off or pick up passengers - who also don't look for traffic... And also, jeepneys will just stop in the left or center lane (whichever lane they happen to be in at the time) to drop or pick up passengers...

Mostly it seems like madness! It is more complicated and dangerous than any computer simulation could ever be!

So maybe this topic should also include why are Filipinos such bad pedestrians?

Just be super careful always...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So maybe this topic should also include why are Filipinos such bad pedestrians?

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

On a lighter note That is probably not to everyone's liking + For us Brits & Ozzies it should be hogging the right lane;

Driving properly.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JDDavao said:

If you don't like how Filipinos drive, stay off the sidewalk! :hystery:

Love your sense of humor. My GF just asked me what I was laughing about when I read your post.:AddEmoticons04230:

• Haha 3