Why are Filipinos such bad drivers?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Next time just wait for one of the PNP cars that are constantly patrolling the streets looking for traffic violators!:hystery::dance::stop_80_anim_gif:

Only for "Obstruction!" That is their favourite...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I feel your pain. Used to get really frustrated..my GF calmed me down when she said get used to it.:tongue:

Thanks... Yeah... L tells me to chillax constantly... so I am working on it. But, Thank God that there is still Tanduay at the end of any journey - even just picking her up from work and taking her home!!! And she offers other ways to relax that really help too... She loves to drive... ahem......

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
Onemore52
Posted
Posted
On 7/26/2019 at 7:52 AM, Ranger Andy said:

I don’t believe that filipinos receive proper driving education and training, plus I’ve been told that the driving skills test is done solely in the LTO parking lots, and not on the actual streets where they will drive.  In the US and other countries, the driving skills test is given in actual traffic (on actual roads and in real time traffic).

Here in Camarines Norte, they don't have to have a license, just go and buy a scooter and off you go. A friend of mine has a UV express franchise and we were talking about this over a few beers the other day, he mentioned that there is a law in the Philippines that if you hit a motorbike/scooter or any other two wheeled vehicle that you are automatically in the wrong. True or false please people?

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
On 7/26/2019 at 12:59 PM, Tommy T. said:

With something stuck to them? I like your idea!

Believe me... I really hope that would work. As it is, I have really little to no trust in the legal system here. Partially from what I read and hear and  bit from my own experience so far... Might (and money) makes right, it appears?

Meanwhile, you and I and the rest of us all have to be vigilant for the next doctor, lawyer, merchant or chief who decides to play tag with his car so he(or she) can get that ahead of us by that bare millisecond that seems so important... Sorry, Robert, but this whole subject strikes a nerve with me. I am much cooler about driving, but I still need a hit of Tanduay or a beer when I am done driving somewhere!

Funny you should say that because at the end of a journey I say out loud "well I survived another trip without getting hit".

Last week I tempted fate and ventured out four times in a week, on the fourth day I nearly got hit 3 times by 3 different motor bikes, they just don't care.

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Following this discussion I realise that I am not alone in my frustration with these people that just have to be in front of everyone, all the time, and after driving for almost fifty years I have never come so close, so many times in my life as driving here.

Because everyone here is in a hurry, well in a hurry to go nowhere because that is how they drive I have taken option #2, which is do exactly the opposite to them, which is download some of my favourite music onto a USB drive, plug it in and drive at 30mph, and look in the rear vision at the line of traffic behind me, because here in Daet the tricycle drivers go at 25mph looking for a fare then up it to 28 when they get a fare, let them sit behind me for a change.

I reckon, right or wrong I maybe that the faster you go the more chance that you are going to hit one of them, or they hit you, we can get away with sitting on speeds of 100kph when we are in our respective countries but there you have people with half a brain, unless it is Australia where there are masses of those oriental people now driving who are clueless.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

there is a law in the Philippines that if you hit a motorbike/scooter or any other two wheeled vehicle that you are automatically in the wrong. True or false please people?

I’ve come across this question before... there seem to be conflicting views about it.  I suspect as a foreigner you’re more likely to be the one asked to pay whatever the law.

Autoindustria seem to think yes (but law might be changed).

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/new-bill-to-make-laws-rules-on-reckless-imprudence-fair-to-drivers.html

Top Gear Philippines seem to think no.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/feature-articles/car-motorcycle-accident-accountable-a50-20180419-lfrm

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I’ve come across this question before... there seem to be conflicting views about it.  I suspect as a foreigner you’re more likely to be the one asked to pay whatever the law.

Autoindustria seem to think yes (but law might be changed).

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/new-bill-to-make-laws-rules-on-reckless-imprudence-fair-to-drivers.html

Top Gear Philippines seem to think no.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/feature-articles/car-motorcycle-accident-accountable-a50-20180419-lfrm

It appears that both article agree that the problem is not with existing law, but rather that the current law is not being followed.   

Agree with @GeoffH when he writes that a foreigner is more likely to pay for damages even if they were not at fault.  It does not always happen that way, but it a common complaint among expats.  The new bill referred to in the Autoindutria article does look like could help remedy that bias if it should pass the senate, become law, and actually be applied in a uniform and fair manner. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Following this discussion I realise that I am not alone in my frustration with these people that just have to be in front of everyone, all the time, and after driving for almost fifty years I have never come so close, so many times in my life as driving here.

Because everyone here is in a hurry, well in a hurry to go nowhere because that is how they drive I have taken option #2, which is do exactly the opposite to them, which is download some of my favourite music onto a USB drive, plug it in and drive at 30mph, and look in the rear vision at the line of traffic behind me, because here in Daet the tricycle drivers go at 25mph looking for a fare then up it to 28 when they get a fare, let them sit behind me for a change.

I reckon, right or wrong I maybe that the faster you go the more chance that you are going to hit one of them, or they hit you, we can get away with sitting on speeds of 100kph when we are in our respective countries but there you have people with half a brain, unless it is Australia where there are masses of those oriental people now driving who are clueless.

I just wish I could see 30mph without waiting until 11pm for the roads to clear. More like 20kph or less.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, robert k said:

I just wish I could see 30mph without waiting until 11pm for the roads to clear. More like 20kph or less.

On the other hand, there is a lot to be said about slow speeds. 

On my scooter in the past 4 years:

Hit a dog that ran in front of me, stayed up.

Laid the bike down during emergency braking when a pedestrian stepped right in front of me.  He walking with his back to traffic and decided to cross the road without looking.

Laid the bike down after hitting a dog.

Side swiped by another bike who tried to pass while I was making a left turn, we both stayed up.

Read ended by another bike, we both stayed up.

I am thankful that in each case I was going fairly slow.  All the above were either low speed or almost stopped at time of impact.  Even the lay downs were limited to bruises.  Actually had the sole of my shoe torn off one time and did not realize it till a pedestrian helped me to my feet after lifting the bike off my leg.

• Sad 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Mike J said:

On the other hand, there is a lot to be said about slow speeds. 

On my scooter in the past 4 years:

Hit a dog that ran in front of me, stayed up.

Laid the bike down during emergency braking when a pedestrian stepped right in front of me.  He walking with his back to traffic and decided to cross the road without looking.

Laid the bike down after hitting a dog.

Side swiped by another bike who tried to pass while I was making a left turn, we both stayed up.

Read ended by another bike, we both stayed up.

I am thankful that in each case I was going fairly slow.  All the above were either low speed or almost stopped at time of impact.  Even the lay downs were limited to bruises.  Actually had the sole of my shoe torn off one time and did not realize it till a pedestrian helped me to my feet after lifting the bike off my leg.

My normal drive takes on average 45 minutes to 70 minutes to go 13 km. Even at that I see the occasional dump truck parked on a scooter. I don't really see where a minimum speed limit for AH26 would make it any more dangerous.

Edit: I can do the same drive with complete safety in about 20 minutes after 11pm. Not that there would be any point in doing so as the malls are closed. I just know because of a late night craving for McDonalds once.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3