Why are Filipinos such bad drivers?

robert k
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Did you :89: National highway between cities. The arteries of commerce. Clogged with the fat embolism of a trike or a multicab that has no place to be. is what you said my friend

Actually, yes I did Jack, and you quoted half of the post in which I did.

"I said trikes and multicabs that had no place to be. That wouldn't include commercial trikes and multicabs  as they obviously have some place to be." You quoted the first sentence of this. This is where for anyone with eyes I made it clear that I wasn't speaking of commercial vehicles. So yes Jack, I did.:hystery: Nice try with quoting the original post. One might almost think you are trying to be difficult on purpose?:mocking:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Promised the asawa that I would quite riding when I turned 70.  That is less than a year away now.   We also have a car but I much prefer my scooter.  Easier to get around and not much problem to find parking.

Yes, I hear you. There is no arguing the convenience factor.

L helped me make my choice. I still have the bike and use it sometimes for errands and short distances but never take it into the heart of the city any more. I enjoy riding and parking (except at the malls) but just get really unsettled in heavy traffic. When the new house is built I will use it to run to the local stores for small items or let the helper use it too.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, robert k said:

Nice try with quoting the original post. One might almost think you are trying to be difficult on purpose?:mocking:

Laugh icon.jpg look mate mirror.jpg BTW one day I feel sure you will need a Public Ride   licensed or not then we shall not hear about this of course now for me, I will be   moving on.png as this helps no one not even You and I

• Sad 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Laugh icon.jpg look mate mirror.jpg BTW one day I feel sure you will need a Public Ride   licensed or not then we shall not hear about this of course now for me, I will be   moving on.png as this helps no one not even You and I

Smooth move disabling my likes button Jack.:hystery:

• I'm Confused 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Here's my experience of an accident i had last year. Driving home mid-afternoon, within half a kilometer of destination, going uphill on a four lane road (towards Marco Polo if you know it). Road in my direction is completely empty (unheard of), no jeepny, motorbike, bus, truck, lorry or cars so accelerate to about 55 kph. Come round final curve, still no traffic. At which point a lorry parked at the road side suddenly pulls across infront of me to make a u-turn (illegal u-turn as it happens). Helpfully the driver has his hand out of the window suggesting I should stop. I can't of course. I might have been able to pull round infront of him but if anything was coming the other way that would have been a serious, possibly fatal, accident. So I run into the back of his front tire. Bad for my front nearside, no damage whatsoever to the lorry. Impact not enough to even set off the airbags.

So, wait for the traffic guys to come and measure up, thence to police station together with driver of the lorry and his lady boss (who had taken 2 hours to arrive). Sit in front of policeman to dicuss, with other driver. Clear as day who's at fault. End discussion. Lady boss approaches and says"Can we collect your car tomorrow to repair?". Guess what? They also own a car shop. However on hearing this Cebu's finest says "Ah but... on reviewing the traffic report your skid mark was about 7 metres, therefore you must have been going too fast". Conclusion after a little more talking - both to blame, sort your own repair bill.

Another case of DWW (Driving Whilst White) being an automatic offence.......

• Sad 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Here's my experience of an accident i had last year. Driving home mid-afternoon, within half a kilometer of destination, going uphill on a four lane road (towards Marco Polo if you know it). Road in my direction is completely empty (unheard of), no jeepny, motorbike, bus, truck, lorry or cars so accelerate to about 55 kph. Come round final curve, still no traffic. At which point a lorry parked at the road side suddenly pulls across infront of me to make a u-turn (illegal u-turn as it happens). Helpfully the driver has his hand out of the window suggesting I should stop. I can't of course. I might have been able to pull round infront of him but if anything was coming the other way that would have been a serious, possibly fatal, accident. So I run into the back of his front tire. Bad for my front nearside, no damage whatsoever to the lorry. Impact not enough to even set off the airbags.

So, wait for the traffic guys to come and measure up, thence to police station together with driver of the lorry and his lady boss (who had taken 2 hours to arrive). Sit in front of policeman to dicuss, with other driver. Clear as day who's at fault. End discussion. Lady boss approaches and says"Can we collect your car tomorrow to repair?". Guess what? They also own a car shop. However on hearing this Cebu's finest says "Ah but... on reviewing the traffic report your skid mark was about 7 metres, therefore you must have been going too fast". Conclusion after a little more talking - both to blame, sort your own repair bill.

Another case of DWW (Driving Whilst White) being an automatic offence.......

I would be cautious about allowing someone else to have your car repaired. You don't know to what standard the repairs would be made, how long it would take and so forth. You would be placing yourself in their hands. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, robert k said:

I would be cautious about allowing someone else to have your car repaired. You don't know to what standard the repairs would be made, how long it would take and so forth. You would be placing yourself in their hands. 

In one sense you're right, Robert.  However, do we really have the ability to control such things even if we arrange the repair - we are in the Philippines after all

robert k
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In one sense you're right, Robert.  However, do we really have the ability to control such things even if we arrange the repair - we are in the Philippines after all

There is a guy with a youtube channel who has had his car hit a few times in the Philippines and allowing others to have his car repaired hasn't worked out for him. I believe that if you are not the one paying the shop, you aren't going to have much say. If the cash is coming from my pocket, I will have a say. I have arranged repairs and I assure you I did have a say in the matter.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

If the cash is coming from my pocket, I will have a say. I have arranged repairs and I assure you I did have a say in the matter.

Read my post again before being so snippy 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I can agree on certain things if it is a private arrangement But if Insurance I have little tale,

I had a bang and as the car is fully comp I put in a claim

Ok so the Insurance company asked 3 Quotes, I did and submitted them to the Office.

10 days later I had a call, Sir, We have chosen So and So Company, Ok and if ok with you our Claims assessor will come and Pick up your car at xyz on abc. the job will be 4 days OK, then? he will then pick you up and take you to the company and you will both examine the Work and on agreeing that all is OK, you both sign the disclaimer and you can drive your car home and we will pay the Company.

What is the problem? absolutely None :smile: and I was nowhere near the Job, Sometimes we have to trust :wink:

• Like 2