Why are Filipinos such bad drivers?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am a bit late to this thread as it seemed to me to be stating the obvious but I saw something today that fits the topic.

I was sitting on the right hand side of a Ceres bus, looking out the window, when a motorcycle passed on the right, as they always do.  They are oblivious and care not about the dangers of doing that.  I have seen many pics of motorcycles run over by a Ceres bus and people often point to the Ceres driver and say "going too fast again"  but that is not the case.

In today's incident, the motorcycle passing the bus on the right got to the point just in front of the rear wheels of the bus and his front tire blew out.  Well he lost control and came within a camel toe hair of slipping under the wheels of the bus but managed to get his motorcycle under control.  I looked back and saw he was OK.  He happened to be right close to a tire repair shop.  I swear those guys throw nails on the road to generate business.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

What is the problem? absolutely None :smile: and I was nowhere near the Job, Sometimes we have to trust :wink:

You've hit the nail on the head Jack - my point was simply that.

We all like to think he who pays the piper chooses the tune but reality is that sometimes we pay the piper, choose the tune and the piper goes ahead and plays his own tune regardless! 

• Thanks 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Read my post again before being so snippy 

How was I snippy? If I or you are the the one paying, you get to choose the shop that does the work, do you not?

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 8/20/2019 at 11:23 AM, jimeve said:

We had to use the trikes or easyriders too, Only had a car last two years. Been coming to Dumaguete since 2002. Noticed that the traffic was less congested then.

Agree, even with car when visiting Dumaguete I will never drive at night. Used to how ever far to many with no lights and either drunk or crazy pedestrianstuff.  Safer easier jump in a trike.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, robert k said:

How was I snippy? If I or you are the the one paying, you get to choose the shop that does the work, do you not?

You do indeed have the right to choose who does the work if you're paying the bill - but that is nothing to do with what I posted.  My point was that even when paying  we have limited control over the quality of work done, timing etc etc here in the Philippines.  Perhaps in our countries there is an element of professional pride/QC and so on that is not always found here.  

Clermont
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My point was that even when paying  we have limited control over the quality of work done, timing etc etc here in the Philippines. 

I have heard this argument before: Of course we have control, we get quotes for finished jobs, we inspect work the person has done before, and we don't pay anymore than agreed progressive payments. Quite simple, once you get a name for sticking to your guns, you have very little trouble getting the right people for your job. Don't worry I've been caught, once, twice shy. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I have heard this argument before: Of course we have control, we get quotes for finished jobs, we inspect work the person has done before, and we don't pay anymore than agreed progressive payments. Quite simple, once you get a name for sticking to your guns, you have very little trouble getting the right people for your job. Don't worry I've been caught, once, twice shy. :thumbsup:

That's still not the point I'm making - as even you admit, you've been caught once.    

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 8/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, robert k said:

National highway between cities. The arteries of commerce. Clogged with the fat embolism of a trike or a multicab that has no place to be.

Very astute. 4 lane National highways between cities that have 2 lane roads. Thousands of houses have already been built on the supposed 3rd and 4th lane. Electric poles are already in the way of the 4 lanes. So the contractors just lay the road around them. Baby buses still stop in the middle of the road even if there is room for them to pull to the side. On the 4 lanes slow trike drivers insist on using the left lane even when there is plenty of room on the right lane. If you are stuck in traffic, and there is any room at all on the right side the baby buses, trikes and jeepneys  will inevitably start crawling up to get a little bit ahead. 

Thanks for letting me rant!! Parking assistants will be my next one.:SugarwareZ-037:

• Love it 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The brother in law stated that I drive like a filipino because I was passing the slow lorries in the centre land by passing on the inside.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

The brother in law stated that I drive like a filipino because I was passing the slow lorries in the centre land by passing on the inside.

yep.

In most places, after observing even passively the traffic you have a pretty good idea of the rules of the road and how things are done - not here! 

• Like 1