21 shillings or bobs in a guinea .

I haven't bobbed in a guiness.  What's it like? :whistling:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I haven't bobbed in a guiness.  What's it like? :whistling:

Ah! that is because you are not STOUT enough :wink: Oooops.jpg  Should this be in Puns?

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, stevewool said:

I will try Jack but I am sure you could do better.

In the good old days of Pounds shillings and pence , you could buy plenty as a kid for a half a penny and if 12 pennies that would be a Bob or a shilling , I think I still have a shinny sixpence somewhere still and a dirty Thrupenny bit, and if you had a pocket full of pennies you did walk funny, all that weight you was carrying .

Is that where Monty Python go the idea for their "Silly Walks" skits? :popcorn:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Back on topic a bit.  For those who are curious about the specific reason a "calamity" had been declared I did some research.   As an aside, the fire that Jack mentioned occured in April 2016.

The following  snip is from a Dumaguete facebook page July 26:

<snip>

The Dumaguete City council has declared a state of calamity in six barangays due to the continuing odor problem at the city dumpsite. The stench there has reportedly affected the health of residents nearby.

According to Vice Mayor Alan Gel Cordova, declaring a state of calamity will enable the city government to use its quick response fund. The fund will be used to purchase chemicals or enzymes that will help lessen the stench of the Dumaguete City dumpsite.

<end snip>

The most recent info I could find on a new dump site from the Dumaguete city website  May 27, 2019:

<snip>

Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo confers with the staff responsible for the estbalishment of the Eco-Park led by Engr. Letty Duran to discuss means on how to speed up the construction and expansion of the park prior to the closure of the dumpsite in Candau-ay.

The City Government recently purchased an 8-hectare lot that will be the site for the central Materials Recovery Facility, shredder for biodegradable wastes, a processing plant to turn plastics into chairs and tables for public schools as well as a sanitary landfill.

Mayor Remollo will assign more personnel and heavy equipment in the site so that construction and civil works will proceed as scheduled. The dumpsite in Candau-ay will be closed once the Eco-park and Waste Disposal Facilities will be completely operational.

<end snip>

If you want to follow the history of dumpsite problems you can use this link:

http://dumaguetecity.gov.ph/page/2/?s=dumpsite

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Maybe Steve will answer that as His answer will be a funnier version of what I would have Said :smile:

Maybe when you Britts start speaking in regular English instead of the Queens English you might be understood.:shades: P.S. Learn how to drive on the correct side of the road!!:angry:

• Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Maybe when you Britts start speaking in regular English instead of the Queens English you might be understood.:shades: P.S. Learn how to drive on the correct side of the road!!:angry:

Forum and sarcasm warning.jpg

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

No comprendo.:popcorn:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

P.S. Learn how to drive on the correct side of the road!!:angry:

Yeah right, just like a Filipino.

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid