Bamboo Flooring

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

When I get back from the Mountains with a Piece good enough for a Didgeridoo maybe :whistling: 

Keep practising Jack......

Jacks dideridoo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I am looking for wood flooring that is boards with tongue and groove slats - maybe 4-5+ inches wide, about 1/4" or thicker. This is a manufactured product - mostly produced in China, so far as my research has shown. I don't think it is a local product? But - as frequently - I may be wrong about that?

What I am seeing online is that these slats or "tiles?" seem to be manufactured almost exclusively in China. The woven strand bamboo is produced sort of like pressboard, with high pressure and glues to hold all the fibrous bamboo together into boards. There are other versions I have researched - "engineered," which is similar to plywood with a veneer on top, "mat board," which seems to be exactly like particle board and also with a veneer (or maybe this is the one made like plywood? I forgot already as my head is spinning with all the choices), or solid wood - which is quite beautiful but way beyond my financial reach and, apparently, not nearly as strong as the woven bamboo strand construction...

Those are the results of my research, so far. I am no expert on any of this, just regurgitating what I have learned online.

We have laminate flooring - there are a huge range of qualities available i.e. the most expensive laminate is more expensive than the cheapest engineered and so on.  I know one guy who installed bamboo flooring  - it's very nice and looks solid and better than my mid-range laminate but more expensive.  I believe he got it from a local hardware store.  

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Oh no.  That is not true at all.  There are different species of bamboo with stronger and longer lasting qualities.  When my good friend was building bamboo houses he would have his works drive 100 km into the hills to get the good stuff rather than build with the low quality stuff.

https://www.guaduabamboo.com/types/top-20-best-bamboo-species

Good quality bamboo will last for years. I had a Bahay Kubo built in the backyard in 2008, the kind with a bedroom in it. Varnished it once a year and it still looks almost new. Put 6 inch blocks under the six legs to keep it out of the water. Finally got tired of varnishing it so painted it blue last year. Had some bugs in it the first year but sprayed the whole thing with kerosene and had no problems after that.:cheersty:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Wilcon and they have a large selection,

we got ours from Wilcon over 7 years ago and put it in our entire 2nd floor, (except for the bath naturally lol) we got one of the more expensive brands basically because it was "guaranteed" against insects. Have not had a problem so far and still looks great.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, scott h said:

we got ours from Wilcon over 7 years ago and put it in our entire 2nd floor, (except for the bath naturally lol) we got one of the more expensive brands basically because it was "guaranteed" against insects. Have not had a problem so far and still looks great.

Thanks a lot, Scott! Can you tell me what the manufacturer or brand name was of that? Was it solid wood, woven stranded, engineered woven stranded or matted? They had a lot of choices. I was researching the "brand" at Trust hardware and found nothing online for it, "Artisan." So I am suspecting that brand is not good...

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

We have laminate flooring - there are a huge range of qualities available i.e. the most expensive laminate is more expensive than the cheapest engineered and so on.  I know one guy who installed bamboo flooring  - it's very nice and looks solid and better than my mid-range laminate but more expensive.  I believe he got it from a local hardware store.  

Thanks, hk... Any more information would be greatly appreciated - as in store where purchased or brand name?

stevewool
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, scott h said:

Have you got a picture of the flooring

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

Not right now... but I can get some tomorrow... They all look similar and reasonable quality, but my problem is that the ones from Trust Hardware have a brand name that I cannot find online, so I really don't "Trust" it - Artisan.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Also, from what I have researched online, the "natural" bamboo tiles are much stronger than the dyed tiles. Apparently the dyed tiles lose 30% or so of their hardness/strength due to the colouring process called carbonization... So I will be happy with natural, I guess...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, stevewool said:

this just shows a sliver of the bamboo floor, ill look for more

bedroom.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1