Case of child trafficking against a Belgian thrown out

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Serves as a reminder to some of us.  I think there are a few members living with girlfriends and the girlfriend's child or children.  You are not supposed to be alone with them.

Not sure this is totally correct. My understanding is the authorities must have reasonable reason to believe that intent is prevalent. 

In other words if one is alone with a step daughter or step son while their partner or wife is out shopping there would IMHO be no problems. How ever if one is with a underage boy or girl where there is no relationship with a parent  its an entirely different situation. Intent is the key.

Many of my friends bring there step kids to school and home again. I have never heard or would expect to hear  of any issues here.

9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Not sure this is totally correct. My understanding is the authorities must have reasonable reason to believe that intent is prevalent. 

In other words if one is alone with a step daughter or step son while their partner or wife is out shopping there would IMHO be no problems. How ever if one is with a underage boy or girl where there is no relationship with a parent  its an entirely different situation. Intent is the key.

Many of my friends bring there step kids to school and home again. I have never heard or would expect to hear  of any issues here.

I was referring to unmarried couples.  Once you are married, the kid is officially a step-child and I think everything is ok then.  I hope!

If unmarried, that is when you become vulnerable.  Intent could easily be persuaded by a nosy or greedy neighbor, or someone with a grudge.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I was referring to unmarried couples.  Once you are married, the kid is officially a step-child and I think everything is ok then.  I hope!

If unmarried, that is when you become vulnerable.  Intent could easily be persuaded by a nosy or greedy neighbor, or someone with a grudge.

I would have no problem and fact have brought my partners kids out with me during times they are here.

As stated its intent, if ever a neighbour or whom ever reported this, being with kids of your partner (non wife) I seriously doubt the police would ever be interested, and for sure any judge (allowing for the Philippines) would throw this out on the basis there is a relationship.

The danger comes in if one is traveling alone them.....one could be open to charges and or extortion.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, RBM said:

The danger comes in if one is traveling alone them.

I had this once only at Robinsons, ( my daughter was 8) a PNP officer stopped me and asked some questions to which my daughter said "Daddy what does the policeman want want" Ok Sir please continue with your day :smile:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, RBM said:

As stated its intent, if ever a neighbour or whom ever reported this, being with kids of your partner (non wife) I seriously doubt the police would ever be interested, and for sure any judge (allowing for the Philippines) would throw this out on the basis there is a relationship.

Yet this Belgium guy was arrested and it took a long time before a judge threw it out.  I'm not arguing.  I just want everyone to stay safe and use good judgement.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Yet this Belgium guy was arrested and it took a long time before a judge threw it out.  I'm not arguing.  I just want everyone to stay safe and use good judgement.

My thought is that they knew it was a dodgy arrest as they gave him bail and allowed him to leave the country. Would he have gotten the same end result had he stayed here?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

I would have no problem and fact have brought my partners kids out with me during times they are here.

The danger comes in if one is traveling alone them.....one could be open to charges and or extortion.

We have been over the law here before and I don't recall anything in it that mentioned intent. It is illegal to be alone and without legally recognized familial or customary (stepfather for instance of non adopted children) relationship with children not your own, no matter the intent. I don't think present girlfriends kids qualify.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

To many people here using common sense, remember where you are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Before I got married I would never let my girlfriend leave me alone with her niece or nephew.  She said it was fine because they were family. I told her they were her family, and legally not my family.  I never considered intent, just the wording of the law.  After we got married I was ok with it, because they were now legally family.  

Maybe I was too cautious... but also I was never arrested (yet ha ha)  :tiphat: 

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I remember reading about this when he was arrested and it always smelled like BS to me. I am glad he cleared his name.  But... if he was facing charges - should he have been allowed to leave the country - even if he made bail?  Seems like he should had to stay here.  Again, glad he cleared his name, but the whole story stinks. 

Kinda like fish?:wink: