Pay pal website hacked

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)

This was in the UK , im posting it here in the hope that others do not get caught out 

I thought I was making a purchase through paypal , I had agreed to purchase a small rv and the guy sent me a link to pay pal , I don't trust embedded links , so I went on to pay pals website and clicked a link to what I thought was their online chat people , the online chat person confirmed the bank account details and I transferred the money , well the stuff did not arrive and im down a large chunk of money

I had used that link about 4 days previously , so the person must have hacked the website for a over a week , I had not contacted the seller by email and I had chatted over a small issue that I thought got resolved , then I saw the rv , I made the payment and , well ive just been told that its a scam

if pay pal cannot police their own website FFS , what hope is there

and yes its a lot of money

Edited by bastonjock
  • Sad 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bastonjock said:

This was in the UK , im posting it here in the hope that others do not get caught out 

I thought I was making a purchase through paypal , I had agreed to purchase a small rv and the guy sent me a link to pay pal , I don't trust embedded links , so I went on to pay pals website and clicked a link to what I thought was their online chat people , the online chat person confirmed the bank account details and I transferred the money , well the stuff did not arrive and im down a large chunk of money

I had used that link about 4 days previously , so the person must have hacked the website for a over a week , I had not contacted the seller by email and I had chatted over a small issue that I thought got resolved , then I saw the rv , I made the payment and , well ive just been told that its a scam

if pay pal cannot police their own website FFS , what hope is there

I cut ties with paypal several years ago. Heard nothing but bad things about them since. Both senders and receivers.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

So if it wasn't the paypal website how could you make the payment.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

So if it wasn't the paypal website how could you make the payment.

To put it into clearer perspective,  I had contacted the pay pal website about 4 days earlier regarding a transaction that i had posted to a buyer , i used the Afore mentioned link to chat to what i thought was their representative, the person on the webchat,  I  sure was the scammer , I saw the motorhome a few days ,later and made contact,  we arranged to have it delivered and I was sent a link to pay the seller . I went directly to pay pals web site and clicked on the aforementioned link , I got through to what I thought was a genuine pay pal employee,  I asked about paying the Ebay link and could he check it , he came back with a bank account ,sort code etc and number and told me that it was a holding account , money would be held until I gave the  all clear .

The scammer had hacked the secure front page of pay pals website and he was on there for at least a week and a half , I sont know how many people got duped , but i imagine I'm not alone 

The scammer or scammers must have had access to Ebay's system 

• Sad 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Paypal took me to court over an unpaid bill. After many phone calls to them with them agreeing the outstanding bill was not mine they still did nothing about it. Out of desperation I called the debt collectors who were threatening me 4 or 5 times I eventually got hold of a woman with common sense who asked me are these the last 4 digits on your card, I replied no and she sorted it there and then. I have never since or will I in the future use paypal.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm very sorry to hear you were robbed by those scammers. Long shot but is there any way you could hold PayPal liable for some or all your loss?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bastonjock said:

i used the Afore mentioned link to chat to what i thought was their representative, the person on the webchat,

I think you were not on a real paypal site as I am sure there is no live chat. Did you check the URL of the site? before giving info for your account? 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

I'm very sorry to hear you were robbed by those scammers. Long shot but is there any way you could hold PayPal liable for some or all your loss?

I am trying  but i dont hold out much hope

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Heres a screenshot of my conversation with the scammer 

How does a scammer manage to stay on a secure web site for at least 1.5 weeks

He even had a bank account at hsbc that came up on the transfer as pay pal

20190722_195522.jpg