Pay pal website hacked

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

The scammer somehow managed to open a bank account with pay pal on thr title  ,he had hacked the front end of the pay pal.website ,so when i enquired to check if the account was a genuine pay pal account i wastold yes ,the guy has a presence on the web site for at leasr 12 days ,so its anyones guess as to how many people he scammed

OK to further understand how this happened, I guess you gave bank account details on live chat but even so a transaction appeard showing that  "a " paypal debited your account so not like he had access to your account to transfer money. Am I getting this? I dont mean to be seen as doubting but all seems strange to me or it's just confusing. :89:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

And you think ebay ask you to pay through their site is to ensure they get their cut.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

OK to further understand how this happened, I guess you gave bank account details on live chat but even so a transaction appeard showing that  "a " paypal debited your account so not like he had access to your account to transfer money. Am I getting this? I dont mean to be seen as doubting but all seems strange to me or it's just confusing. :89:

I transfered the money from my bank account to the bank account sort code account number etc  , that the  online chat person confirmed 

When i checked my account,  it comes up as pay pal on the transaction, what i did was transfer money using the numbers given , on the banks system, it came up as pay pal ,at no point did i putthe words pay pal into the transaction,  the transfer then registered that it went to a pay pal account 

This was not a bon afide pay pal account 

• 2 weeks later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2019 at 11:21 AM, bastonjock said:

I transfered the money from my bank account to the bank account sort code account number etc  , that the  online chat person confirmed 

When i checked my account,  it comes up as pay pal on the transaction, what i did was transfer money using the numbers given , on the banks system, it came up as pay pal ,at no point did i putthe words pay pal into the transaction,  the transfer then registered that it went to a pay pal account 

This was not a bon afide pay pal account 

Then the transfer didn't go through paypal. You transferred it directly from you bank to their bank account. Perhaps at some points in this transaction you were on a fake paypal website. I would never buy anything of any significant value without doing it in person or with a very reputable business that you can verify. What happened to you sounds similar to a common internet scam.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/fbi-warns-of-scam-targeting-car-buyers/

Sorry to hear you got scammed.

Edited by earthdome