Back from first trip to the Philippines , now what?

usa32
Posted
Posted

I went for my first trip for 29 days in February to early march. Not much rain at all(dry season), and I heard its cooler then. ( I didn't see that:))

Had a good time, met several girls, nothing bad happened.

So now im back in the us, and thinking what is next?

Im 38 years old, have a good job here and some roots(house etc) that I would need to unload before moving there.

I am thinking the best play is to plan another trip, and see if the newness wears off, and the negative annoyances of being there, become more important, which I encountered several, before considering moving there.

Thoughts?

I spent time in manilla, cebu city, moalbol, and palawan.

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Agree with the above posters.  29 days is a vacation to both you and the Philippine people you interact with.  Those irritations you mentioned either grow to drive out expats or they learn to shrug them off.  The other thing that happens when you choose to live here is that the locals will tend to see you as a tourist or visitor and give allowance when you make mistakes in dealing with them.   When you become a "local" they will expect you to adjust somewhat, or at the very least accept and respect, the culture and social behaviour norms.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

Wearing out my mouse with all the likes. I think the Tribe is unanimous.:thumbsup:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

I first visited the Phils when I was a 38-year-old home owner too (30 years ago).

Check the place out for at least 12 months.   Get to know the family and the CULTURE, not just the girl... for months/years, rather than days... as you would back home ! You are a YOUNG, very sought-after man in the Phils. Plenty of time. 

DO NOT sell your property in the USA ! 

Bear in mind that you cannot work or run a business legally in the Phils, unless you have a specific visa for that. 

Yes,  you can meet the right person and family there (can't separate the two) .  Just put the brakes on a bit. :thumbsup:

I add my vote too... I think all the advice is good and similar. Graham's is very appropriate and complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1