Back from first trip to the Philippines , now what?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

USA32, at your age and the way come across here on the forum you have a good head and seem a nice guy. If you wish to find an attractive good woman I doubt you'll have long to wait over there.

"I am somewhat overweight, loosing hair" you said. Perfect description for many members here.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, usa32 said:

To answer your question, on what would make a 38 yr old guy turn his life upside down and move there. I think that answer is obvious, most go to the Philippines for two reasons, cheaper living and women. And my reasons would be the same, with the exception I am sure the Philippines is fun at 60, but I bet its even more fun at 38? Just guessing

To some extent, many of us are here for the reasons you mention but, and it's big but, retiring here is a very different matter from coming here at 38.  I don't know your financial position, or your career details, but coming here to work and earn a decent living as a foreigner isn't necessarily so easy.   I'm not convinced that a 38 year-old will have more fun than a 60 year-old here for many different reasons.  

I'm not trying to be negative, or suggesting you shouldn't come here, but it tends to be a place where people come when they are older rather than your age and I think there's reasons for that.  

• Love it 1

usa32
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

To some extent, many of us are here for the reasons you mention but, and it's big but, retiring here is a very different matter from coming here at 38.  I don't know your financial position, or your career details, but coming here to work and earn a decent living as a foreigner isn't necessarily so easy.   I'm not convinced that a 38 year-old will have more fun than a 60 year-old here for many different reasons.  

I'm not trying to be negative, or suggesting you shouldn't come here, but it tends to be a place where people come when they are older rather than your age and I think there's reasons for that.  

I agree.  My financial position, is not bad for my age. I would never move there, with plans to "find a job"  One of the reasons to move there is to not work.

I likely would have assets that would generate around 40-45k$ a year in interest/dividends. Meaning I would have that to live on without touching principal. There is also the likely occurrence though not guaranteed that I will inherit a sum of money from my parents when they unfortunately pass over the next 10-15 years. Obviously you shouldn't count on that, but I believe I could afford to live there on 1500-2k usd budget a month and still save money.

Edited by usa32
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

Well I certainly didn't suggest that the gentleman takes a year out of his life... for whatever purpose. 

Several visits will soon add up. 

I think some members here just like to be 'contrary' 

You're not the only poster who has posted in this thread - another poster specifically did mention a year.

If your definition of someone having  a different opinion from you is them being contrary then what a strange perspective to have.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, usa32 said:

I agree.  My financial position, is not bad for my age. I would never move there, with plans to "find a job"  One of the reasons to move there is to not work.

I likely would have assets that would generate around 40-45k$ a year in interest/dividends. Meaning I would have that to live on without touching principal. There is also the likely occurrence though not guaranteed that I will inherit a sum of money from my parents when they unfortunately pass over the next 10-15 years. Obviously you shouldn't count on that, but I believe I could afford to live there on 1500-2k usd budget a month and still save money.

Understood.

The budget of 1500 - 2000 is certainly doable BUT it will depend on your lifestyle.  A lot of girls here suddenly acquire expensive tastes when they have a foreign boyfriend.  

It's a great place to be when all the stars align, but getting the alignment is a challenge.  Best of luck, genuinely. 

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You're not the only poster who has posted in this thread - another poster specifically did mention a year.

If your definition of someone having  a different opinion from you is them being contrary then what a strange perspective to have.

IF :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

USA32 Out of interest where have you visited. You would probably do better by keeping out of the touristy areas.

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Gary D said:

USA32 Out of interest where have you visited. You would probably do better by keeping out of the touristy areas.

manilla, cebu city, moalbol, palawan.

mostly touristy.

Honestly, i would probably end up living in one of those areas, in a condo, I would like to visit he rural areas, but likely would want to stay in a bigger city.

Condo seems more secure to me.

Edited by usa32
  • Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's not a question of what is best though, Tom, it's a question of what's realistic.  I for one cannot think of anyone I know who could afford to take  a year out at age 38 and spend a year in the Philippines.  Maybe I move in different circles though!  

Totally agree if that’s the case. My response was just based on the OP, which maybe I read into too much and used that ol’ bad word “assume” even, that made me at least think he already has the means to move wherever he wants when he wants.  If not, yeah a year would seem be a non-starter. Now reckon I need to read the rest of the thread.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

The budget of 1500 - 2000 is certainly doable BUT it will depend on your lifestyle.  A lot of girls here suddenly acquire expensive tastes when they have a foreign boyfriend.  

I mentioned before but without specifics about learning more about Filipina women. There is a topic with just that name that you might want to explore and learn, perhaps from others' experiences - good and bad. Most guys here in the forum seem to have good and stable relationships - I can't say all because I have not heard from many members, but the ones who post seem content. That includes me too.

You may not consider yourself a "chick magnet," - I certainly am not - but foreigners can offer a lot to some women who are somewhat less than honest and trustworthy and not necessarily loving. Just be careful.

6 hours ago, usa32 said:

Condo seems more secure to me.

A condo is a good first start for anywhere you go - there are lots of them around. But see if you can try one out or live in a close neighbourhood to one you might like so you can experience it - especially on weekends and holiday seasons. Noise and dogs can be a nuisance in some situations. Many condo communities cater to vacationers and short term renters. But then there are others that are geared toward adults and will tend to be quiet and more regulated... Shop around!

And best of luck to you, wish you well on your plans!

• Like 3