Back from first trip to the Philippines , now what?

graham59
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think there is a cultural difference here that us westerners are only vaguely aware of but miss-interpret. Monogamy is not very high up the list and sleeping around if the opportunity arises is acceptable. The way my wife speaks out barangay is swinger central.

They may well chizmiz about the infidelity of others... but I certainly would not want to put it to the test with my Mrs.:Caught:

I believe the chances of me remaining 'intact' would be very slim.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think there is a cultural difference here that us westerners are only vaguely aware of but miss-interpret. Monogamy is not very high up the list and sleeping around if the opportunity arises is acceptable. The way my wife speaks out barangay is swinger central.

And just Where does one find this particular Barangay Gary?  Asking for a friend.  😂 :whistling:

Of course my Asawa would filet my steak if such were to ever happen.  :bash:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

And just Where does one find this particular Barangay Gary?  Asking for a friend.  😂 :whistling:

Of course my Asawa would filet my steak if such were to ever happen.  :bash:

Mind too. But I bet your wife if asked would say all the neighbours are at it.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

Not even thinking of going there...:2245_safe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the great replies here.   Anybody here that has lived there or currently lives there. How do you feel about safety?  It appears foreigners have very little or no rights there. What the chances of getting jammed up on a fake charge from a girl or someone else?

Do you feel safe there?   As a first timer when i stepped off the plane and walked out the airport and you are hit with the aggressive taxi drivers, and you start to see some of the "houses" in manilla . Coming from the usa, its a big shock and there is a fight or flight response that occurred. However, after I got in the hotel and  calmed down. I enjoyed it and never really felt any fear after that. It wasn't really the people it was just the shock of "real poverty"

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, usa32 said:

Thanks for all the great replies here.   Anybody here that has lived there or currently lives there. How do you feel about safety?  It appears foreigners have very little or no rights there. What the chances of getting jammed up on a fake charge from a girl or someone else?

Ah... so you experienced a bit of culture shock? Sorry about that.

I, personally, feel safe. But I also am careful - in the same ways as I tried to be in USA. I always try to be aware of my surroundings and people near me. But, here in Davao City, I feel as or more safe than in Seattle, Chicago, LA, New York...

Other members who have been here longer can give you better feedback than me, but you are right that, as a foreigner, you seem to have few, if any rights. Please review the previous comments here in this thread. Also, go back to the recent thread about the guy from Belgium who was arrested for being with "under aged" kids... You can never be too careful - just my opinion...

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I feel safe here where I am, but I don't venture out at night time. Safely sat in front of the TV watching Netflix and drinking a few cold ones.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I feel safe here where I am, but I don't venture out at night time. Safely sat in front of the TV watching Netflix and drinking a few cold ones.

I will add to this... Filipino males (and females) can tend to be rather aggressive after imbibing a number of beers or Tanduay (rum). It is always a good idea to stay home or indoors after dark. But just use your better judgement... You will soon see where if is safer or not after you have spent time in your chosen area to reside...

• Like 5