Back from first trip to the Philippines , now what?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Filipino males (and females) can tend to be rather aggressive after imbibing a number of beers or Tanduay (rum).

:ohmy: Tom a Little Generalisation  here I think. Alcohol has a bad effect on many people not just our Locals, Think your own Native Indians and their "Firewater" Situational Awareness is required but No one should be here as a prisoner in their own Home at night, I am not but then, I heeded others  advice, many don't

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:ohmy: Tom a Little Generalisation  here I think. Alcohol has a bad effect on many people not just our Locals, Think your own Native Indians and their "Firewater" Situational Awareness is required but No one should be here as a prisoner in their own Home at night, I am not but then, I heeded others  advice, many don't

Wise words, Jack. I think generalization is okay... So many places where "firewater" has - and continues to cause - issues...

I agree and think that we all need to just be careful always...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

I think generalization is okay.

Then my Friend you are one of Very Few who thinks it is OK, Suppose I generalize and say All US people are Argumentative, we know they are not but in your mind it is OK to say they are ?

BTW I am not trying to be Argumentative but think on it for a while cos I know you will respond :wink:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

BTW I am not trying to be Argumentative but think on it for a while cos I know you will respond :wink:

Interesting thought, Jack... I won't disagree with you...

I have been in situations where there have been very nasty, argumentative Americans and I have been embarrassed to be associated with them... But I have also seen really nasty Germans, French and others... So, maybe it is just back to individualism?  My degree is in geography, not sociology or psychology... I have also met the nicest, mellowest people in all nationalities... Anyway, Jack... it is nice to know you and others here on this forum who all seem to be decent and friendly people!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I don't venture out at night time.

I do go out at night if we've got a reason to but at night I go with a family member (or several) and only to busy well lit areas and I avoid bars.

Whereas during the day I'm happy going off by myself.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

think on it for a while cos I know you will respond :wink:

3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Interesting thought, Jack... I won't disagree with you...

:whatever:I'll Say no more then 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:whatever:I'll Say no more then 

I will say  a bit more, Jack. You are not wrong - not at all - when criticizing my comment about generalizing. I know we all tend to do that - maybe me, more than many others? I will accept that. But I guess, when it comes down to alcohol consumption and violence, I have seen more of that here and in some other "island" nations than in USA. That is not to say it does not happen in USA, just that I have been witness to it more here, maybe because of my location near beaches and resorts and water?

So I just wish to coach any newcomer here to be careful, like Geoff above suggests...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, usa32 said:

...you start to see some of the "houses" in manilla . Coming from the usa, its a big shock and there is a fight or flight response that occurred. However, after I got in the hotel and  calmed down. I enjoyed it and never really felt any fear after that. It wasn't really the people it was just the shock of "real poverty"

You are right about seeing what I’d describe as Grinding Poverty up close and personal; it has a deep somewhat unsettling impact, but makes one also realize just how lucky one is and Most Americans are.  Many of us don’t realize just how good we have it.  My eyes opened really in ‘83 in Beirut and the ‘89 onward in the Philippines and other 3rd world countries.  It’s humbling.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

You are right about seeing what I’d describe as Grinding Poverty up close and personal; it has a deep somewhat unsettling impact, but makes one also realize just how lucky one is and Most Americans are.  Many of us don’t realize just how good we have it.  My eyes opened really in ‘83 in Beirut and the ‘89 onward in the Philippines and other 3rd world countries.  It’s humbling.  

Nicely said, Nickleback... I wish I could say that as well as you...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Hmm thinking 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Nicely said, Nickleback... I wish I could say that at well as you...

I thought you said it pretty well, but we all come in from different angles and life experiences that surely influence us wherever we go.  I’d be first to say it “feels” different there in RP  because it Is different, as are most all cultures different, both the good and the bad ....in the end, hopefully we’re all human.  Deadly Events Here over the weekend were soul numbing.   Posted on social media “I Fear our country has lost its soul.”  ....But that’s a whole different topic.  

• Like 1