Back from first trip to the Philippines , now what?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

You are not wrong - not at all - when criticizing my comment about generalizing. I know we all tend to do that - maybe me, more than many others?

Tom it was my Opinion not particularly A criticism but sometimes your chosen words can have a double edge to them as here  :wink: that may well bring a situation to a head that was never there :whistling:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

@usa32

The Moral for this Topic should be

Never be in the wrong place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing to the wrong Person, Works for me  :wink:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tom it was my Opinion not particularly A criticism but sometimes your chosen words can have a double edge to them as here  :wink: that may well bring a situation to a head that was never there :whistling:

Ah... I understand Jack... I sometimes phrase things using words that I might better not use or should use differently... I only mean to say things positively, but don't always achieve that... sorry...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

but don't always achieve that... sorry...

No need for Sorry Tom But we should Remember that all Positive things have a negative side it is the way we get that balance in Life :wink:

As a Good friend of Mine tells me at times Jack, How come you can normally turn a negative issue into a Positive issue, my answer is because I am a Graduate of the University of Life, there was no Diplomas and such but a Grounding for Forward thinking and much listening to achieve the Goal we all want . Harmony 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

As a Good friend of Mine tells me at times Jack, How come you can normally turn a negative issue into a Positive issue, my answer is because I am a Graduate of the University of Life, there was no Diplomas and such but a Grounding for Forward thinking and much listening to achieve the Goal we all want . Harmony 

Well, Jack.. I am always learning and always will, I hope... thanks...

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm not surprised to hear an American say they feel less safe here, just as I would expect the same response from a Filipino in the US i.e. being in a foreign country generally brings an element of "discomfort" regardless of the country. Personally, I felt less safe when visiting the US but that's probably because I'm much more cautious here than I was there so It's an unfair comparison.  I follow a simple enough policy - if my senses are tingling I move on - same as when i was living in Scotland, England and Hong Kong.

As for foreigners not having rights here - I'm not so sure how true that is.  Yes, we read on fb, on this forum and other places about poor treatment of foreigners but that's because it makes the news so perhaps this is an exception that proves the rule situation and also, locals being treated unfairly isn't of much interest to us ex-pats IMO.  That said, no doubt the law is equal BUT the application may not be - so, don't break the rules and you'll be OK.  Break them and expect a rough ride as a foreigner.     

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not surprised to hear an American say they feel less safe here, just as I would expect the same response from a Filipino in the US i.e. being in a foreign country generally brings an element of "discomfort" regardless of the country. Personally, I felt less safe when visiting the US but that's probably because I'm much more cautious here than I was there so It's an unfair comparison.  I follow a simple enough policy - if my senses are tingling I move on - same as when i was living in Scotland, England and Hong Kong.

As for foreigners not having rights here - I'm not so sure how true that is.  Yes, we read on fb, on this forum and other places about poor treatment of foreigners but that's because it makes the news so perhaps this is an exception that proves the rule situation and also, locals being treated unfairly isn't of much interest to us ex-pats IMO.  That said, no doubt the law is equal BUT the application may not be - so, don't break the rules and you'll be OK.  Break them and expect a rough ride as a foreigner.     

Hk... I cannot agree with you completely, but I think you make a few valid points.

Yeah... I felt uncomfortable when traveling in Europe and even in cities in USA that were not familiar. I really felt uncomfortable in parts of Chicago - we're talking places that no white person with any sense would go, day or night. Sometimes I was stupider than usual and did exactly that... Your logic about that "tingling" sense is right on...

However, I feel also that there is a feeling of less justice existing here for foreigners - rightly or wrongly.  There is definitely a system of family, blood and cash that all change "justice," or as you suggest, the application of it...  My opinion and maybe it is wrong... it is just what I feel.

Your advice is absolutely the best - don't break the rules... especially as a foreigner... And I think that rings true wherever a person may travel...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

However, I feel also that there is a feeling of less justice existing here for foreigners - rightly or wrongly.  There is definitely a system of family, blood and cash that all change "justice," or as you suggest, the application of it...  My opinion and maybe it is wrong... it is just what I feel.

I think the words "feeling of injustice" are the most important ones Tom, I do not actually think foreigners are treated less well here than locals, it's just more a) visible and b) relevant to us.  The systems you mention (family/blood/money) apply to locals as well as us foreigners.  

Bottom line - don't do wrong and you won't have anything to worry about! 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Bottom line - don't do wrong and you won't have anything to worry about! 

Well said, HK... I will just add the word, "hopefully". Okay with you?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well said, HK... I will just add the word, "hopefully". Okay with you?

Of course you're right Tom, there are a percentage of people who are genuinely unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time and fall foul of things.  But, I'd say that %age is small.

• Like 1