More changes may be on the way for a tourist visa.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

China blocks any communication they feel will weaken their Government, If the President hates gambling that much he could as the Chinese do and Block things, Just a thought :wink:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Greed, corruption and crime at it's best.

Worst?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

. I am willing to bet that a lot of those are for POGO workers.

I bet you would win that bet.  But I do not believe they are getting tourist visas.  Based on my own questioning of "those people" I found that their customers usually get student visas.  If the operation gets licensed as a school then it is quasi-legal for these "students" to get visas for on the job training.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I bet you would win that bet.  But I do not believe they are getting tourist visas.  Based on my own questioning of "those people" I found that their customers usually get student visas.  If the operation gets licensed as a school then it is quasi-legal for these "students" to get visas for on the job training.

Ah... so they are learning how to make money illegally or at least "shadilly?" and that is part of their schooling? Or maybe not?...

• 2 weeks later...
Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a new proposal from the BI for Visas On Arrival.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/bi-recommends-non-extendable-30-day-visas-upon-arrival/ar-AAGlrj3?ocid=spartandhp

"The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has recommended to the Department of Justice (DOJ) a non-extendable 30-day validity for visas issued to foreign nationals upon their arrival in the Philippines.

Bureau spokesperson Dana Sandoval said the BI has submitted its position to Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra after its operations team reviewed "possible weak points" of the visa upon arrival (VUA) policy.

"The management recommended to the DOJ that recipients be given a maximum of 30 days, with no extensions, as well as base allowed stay on itinerary presented," Sandoval said in a message.

Deputy spokesman Melvin Mabulac said the BI submitted its recommendation to the DOJ last week.

In the current policy, VUA recipients may stay in the country for 30 days and are allowed to apply for an extension of up to six months, Mabulac said.

Asked for comment, Justice Undersecretary and department spokesman Markk Perete said the DOJ sees the shortening of the visa's validity period as a measure to prevent possible abuse, adding that it was a proposal that had been raised by the DOJ.

"What we are interested in are the other measures proposed by the BI intended to further prevent any abuse of the VUA," Perete said. "We will review and evaluate the recommendation ASAP."

The bureau started its review of the policy even before Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. raised a need to end the policy amid concerns on the influx of Chinese nationals into the country, Perete said earlier this month.

He said "the entire mechanism and processes" behind the policy.

For Chinese nationals, the visa upon arrival privilege was issued by former Justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II in 2017, prompting the BI to issue "landing visas," which allow a traveler to receive their visa at the airport of destination.

The BI program was reportedly opened to Chinese nationals who are members of tour groups organized by tour operators accredited by the tourism department, businessmen endorsed by local and foreign chambers of commerce and other government agencies, and athletes and delegates to conventions and exhibitions. — RSJ, GMA News"

Edited by Hobbit112
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Here is a new proposal from the BI for Visas On Arrival.

I think what we are confusing here is VUA and what most of us come on which is a Visa Waiver. 

VUA

Foreign investors and businessmen duly endorsed by the Board of Investments (BOI), Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA), Philippine chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI), local business councils, or local as well as foreign chambers of commerce and industry;

Athletes and delegates to sports competitions, conventions or exhibitions duly endorsed by its organizers and/or sponsors;

Delegates and participants to, resource speakers in, international conventions, symposia, conference and similar gatherings duly endorsed by its organizers and/or sponsors;

Foreign investors and their executives in investments that are endorsed by the government, or those resulting from bilateral agreements as well as those in response to Presidential Invitations for Investments during presidential trips or State Visits abroad;

Officials of World Bank, Asian Development Bank, and other international development partners, including their dependent spouse and unmarried minor children;

Other foreigners who, in the discretion of the Commissioner, may be entitled to the benefits of this program.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

For Chinese nationals, the visa upon arrival privilege was issued by former Justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II in 2017, prompting the BI to issue "landing visas," which allow a traveler to receive their visa at the airport of destination.

Sounds like they are wanting to address those visas that are being given out via the Chinese tour companies.  Lets hope any changes do not impact what most expats are doing which is to get there 30 day visa free stay, then apply for a tourist visa.  I think they will take care in making any changes, they want to keep the Chinese from overstaying, but still keep the income from tourists including expats.

Edit - looks like JGF beat me to the punch by about two seconds.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Lets hope any changes do not impact what most expats are doing which is to get there 30 day visa free stay, then apply for a tourist visa.  

I am not so sure they do apply for a tourist visa after their initial 30 days. Just about everyone I know get a 29 day, then a 2 month and, if appropriate, 6 month extension of stay. 

Ken

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I am not so sure they do apply for a tourist visa after their initial 30 days. Just about everyone I know get a 29 day, then a 2 month and, if appropriate, 6 month extension of stay. 

Ken

Again you are discribing the visa waiver scheme, not the visa on arrival scheme avalable to the chinese.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 8/2/2019 at 7:32 AM, Ram1957 said:

Well he has a Chinese problem but want to punish everyone that wants to visit the Philippines. I hope he makes the change and then people that want to visit the Philippines will choose to go somewhere else due to the hassle of getting a visa. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.

Maybe he realizes the tit for tat policy is not working. People with no jobs are trying to get into rich countries that have jobs for them. People from rich countries want to retire to countries with a low cost of living. Maybe they will stop making it so hard for us to spend our money here!:shake_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1