Chocolate Cookies with Salted Caramel Chips

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I will not share the recipe right now... But just wanted to make you guys hungry! First time I baked these so will require extensive taste-testing to make sure they are fit for human consumption...

Cookies!.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've got a great chocolate chip cookie and blondie recipe. I enjoy baking. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Me too! Maybe we can compare and swap recipes some time? Who's blondie? This place is the first location I have been in for over 25 years where I can use an oven without dying from heat stroke...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Blondie is an English (I think) white brownie like recipe.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Blondie is an English (I think) white brownie like recipe.

Really? That sounds like it might be tasty. I love brownies (for you leches here, I mean the food, not the girls!:smile:).

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Really? That sounds like it might be tasty. I love brownies (for you leches here, I mean the food, not the girls!:smile:).

What's wrong with liking both?:wink:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

What's wrong with liking both?:wink:

I don't know you..AK, but maybe you are too young for one and too old for other?:hystery: Only you can tell which one applies to which?

Just kidding you, my friend!!!:laugh:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 8/3/2019 at 11:18 PM, Old55 said:

Have you ever had a problem with your cookie texture? I have found mine tend to sometimes be a bit too light and cakey...

I have been using the local raw or "brown" sugar here for recipes from USA. I am thinking that might be the cause after reading online about substituting the raw sugar for white granulated sugar. Any other thoughts out there?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Have you ever had a problem with your cookie texture? I have found mine tend to sometimes be a bit too light and cakey...

I have been using the local raw or "brown" sugar here for recipes from USA. I am thinking that might be the cause after reading online about substituting the raw sugar for white granulated sugar. Any other thoughts out there?

Maybe the organic granular sugar is affecting it. I use caster sugar in some baking recipes perhaps that would work for you in this case.

To get a more fudgier (spelling?) like brownies will depend on your recipe have you looked for a specific recipe for that?

Some tips.... Add more butter. Important, don't overbeat your flower coco mix adding air will make cake. Only mix just enough to incorporate them together then stop. Brownies needs to be baked through correctly but the longer you bake the more cake like or dry they become. You could put parchment paper in the pan and remove the brownies shortly after the oven to cool? Not sure if this would work or not.

We like them a bit over cooked and somewhat cake like. When the edges pull away from the pan and get hard we enjoy that.

Try this see what you think, mix a tiny amount of nutmeg and 1/4 tea spoon or less cinnamon along with the normal amount of vanilla. Enough is when you can only just slightly taste it adds depth to cookies and brownies IMO.

Edited by Old55
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Maybe the organic granular sugar is affecting it. I use caster sugar in some baking recipes perhaps that would work for you in this case.

To get a more fudgier (spelling?) like brownies will depend on your recipe have you looked for a specific recipe for that?

Some tips.... Add more butter. Important, don't overbeat your flower coco mix adding air will make cake. Only mix just enough to incorporate them together then stop. Brownies needs to be baked through correctly but the longer you bake the more cake like or dry they become. You could put parchment paper in the pan and remove the brownies shortly after the oven to cool? Not sure if this would work or not.

We like them a bit over cooked and somewhat cake like. When the edges pull away from the pan and get hard we enjoy that.

Try this see what you think, mix a tiny amount of nutmeg and 1/4 tea spoon or less cinnamon along with the normal amount of vanilla. Enough is when you can only just slightly taste it adds depth to cookies and brownies IMO.

Thanks for the reply and your suggestions!

Yeah... I am going to try caster or simple granulated sugar for my next batch. They always taste great, just that nagging texture problem. L and I and her friends prefer chewy cookies with crunchy edges. I tried a recipe that specifically caters to that style, but used the local, raw sugar... SM grocery had no white sugar on the shelves so I decided to just use that. It gives a bit more molasses taste, but ended up crumbly anyway.

I am pretty careful about not over-beating the cookie mixture. I will try adding a bit more butter next time too.

I've got the brownies down pretty well, I think. I use an old recipe - with all local sugar - and they come up heavy and gooey - which seems to be the preference here, rather than cake-like. The recipe says to poke with a toothpick and there will be a bit of a crust on top but gooey chocolate sticking to it - that means "done" and no more baking. One 2" square probably supplies a full day's worth of carbs and sugar, butter and chocolate! The recipe calls for using aluminum foil in the pan, but I have used parchment too - both work and make clean-up a snap.

I'll try the nutmeg and cinnamon tip - sounds great! Those spices go together like roast beef and gravy or pizza and beer!!! They should improve my baking.... By the way, I fry bacon in small pieces and lay that on top of the brownies before baking and people seem to enjoy the sweet/savory combination.

Next time I bake - maybe tomorrow? - I will let you know the results.

• Like 1