Chocolate Cookies with Salted Caramel Chips

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

We haven't picked out the exact make or model yet. That was coming up soon...

However, we will be looking for a stove/oven combination unit. It will use propane gas and hopefully have a gas broiler burner too.

So far, other members tell me all they have gas ovens with some having broilers, but only electric broilers. I am not sure if gas broilers even exist here. I plan on having a propane supply manifold that will work with two tanks so we won't run out if one tank goes dry.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

We haven't picked out the exact make or model yet. That was coming up soon...

However, we will be looking for a stove/oven combination unit. It will use propane gas and hopefully have a gas broiler burner too.

So far, other members tell me all they have gas ovens with some having broilers, but only electric broilers. I am not sure if gas broilers even exist here. I plan on having a propane supply manifold that will work with two tanks so we won't run out if one tank goes dry.

We plan to have  a gas stove with electric oven, only because we are not being used to gas ovens here in Scandinavia. I guess there is good and bad things whatever option you chose. Maybe we have changed our mind when it´s time to do the shopping, hahaha.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You all are making me hungry so we baked up some cinnamon roles. Neither my wife or I had ever baked from scratch. We started the last few months. Banana bread, chocolate chip cookies, pandesal, donuts and now cinnamon roles. It has been hard to find yeast to buy, finally we were able to order online. We even bought a kitchen aide stand mixer to make the task easier.

20200512_134233.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 8/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, Tommy T. said:

Yesterday I bought some molasses. My next cookie adventure will be to try to make molasses cookies like my Mom used to bake for me - always my childhood favourite. I don't have her recipe but I am sure there will be a good one online - one can always hope, right?

Tommy, tonight when I get home from work I will send you a recipe if ya like.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, earthdome said:

You all are making me hungry so we baked up some cinnamon roles. Neither my wife or I had ever baked from scratch. We started the last few months. Banana bread, chocolate chip cookies, pandesal, donuts and now cinnamon roles. It has been hard to find yeast to buy, finally we were able to order online. We even bought a kitchen aide stand mixer to make the task easier.

20200512_134233.jpg

Kitchenaid stand mixer. Game changer! I put off buying one for years due to the cost. Money well spent IMO.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Kitchenaid stand mixer. Game changer! I put off buying one for years due to the cost. Money well spent IMO.

Yeah, its so nice for making dough. Still need to get a hand mixer for other things. Hey, need to use that stimulus cash on something. Gotta spend it before the cash becomes worthless.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

We plan to have  a gas stove with electric oven, only because we are not being used to gas ovens here in Scandinavia. I guess there is good and bad things whatever option you chose. Maybe we have changed our mind when it´s time to do the shopping, hahaha.

Well, Viking, the main reason for us picking gas for all cooking is because electricity is expensive here. Water is practically free, but power is costly. Since I like to bake things and also roast meats, I tend to use an oven often. I think it is an overreaction after all those years on the yacht in the tropics where baking or roasting made the boat unlivable. Now I can turn on a fan.

I'm sure someone here on the forum will have numbers to compare for electricity vs. gas. I have not had my coffee yet so am rather unmotivated to look them up right now... But I just brewed some so I will fully awaken soon...:morning1:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, earthdome said:

It has been hard to find yeast to buy, finally we were able to order online.

I mentioned this in another thread a while ago... 

I have found yeast at the Gaisano grocery here in Davao and - just a month or two ago - found it at SM. It was sort of hidden away on a lower shelf but, surprisingly, was next to the flour and other baking products, as it should be. Every time I go there, I check for hard-to-find products and sometimes my persistence is rewarded.

Two packages like these (kept in refrigerator) will keep me baking for a while...

20200514_074025_resized.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Tommy, tonight when I get home from work I will send you a recipe if ya like.

I would love that! I am always looking at trying something new.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

Yeah, its so nice for making dough.

After reading your post, I may relent and shell out for a good mixer like yours some day soon. I still enjoy doing it by hand - it is good to relieve any pent up stress from thinking about virus, etc. I used to split firewood as my frustration reliever back in the day... The ex new I was especially stressed when I split it down to kindling, THEN baked bread!