Chocolate Cookies with Salted Caramel Chips

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I may not be the worlds worst cook (probably just Cagayan De Oro) but even I struggle to burn stuff in our convection oven  :th_thbarbaque:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

How good are the thermostat controls on your ovens? Do either of you use oven thermometers?

I have no idea and I don't have an oven thermometer.  For the things we bake, +-25 F is probably not a big deal.  If you get into larger meats, like roasts and turkeys with long cooking times, I would guess it becomes more important.  Possibly breads too??

• Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 5/14/2020 at 1:35 AM, Tommy T. said:

Well, Viking, the main reason for us picking gas for all cooking is because electricity is expensive here. Water is practically free, but power is costly. Since I like to bake things and also roast meats, I tend to use an oven often. I think it is an overreaction after all those years on the yacht in the tropics where baking or roasting made the boat unlivable. Now I can turn on a fan.

I'm sure someone here on the forum will have numbers to compare for electricity vs. gas. I have not had my coffee yet so am rather unmotivated to look them up right now... But I just brewed some so I will fully awaken soon...:morning1:

I am aware of the electricity being expensive in PH, but we will probably not use it that much (1-2 times/week) so I don´t Think it will make a huge difference in our bills. I may be wrong about it, but  I am pretty sure we can handle that extra cost, gas is not free either, even if it is cheaper.  A bigger drawback is if there is a brownout when the oven is in use, but luckily we don´t have lots of them in our area. We have some more time to think what to choose before we make our decision :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 5/15/2020 at 1:36 AM, Mike J said:

When have a Germania brand.  Three burners are gas, one burner and the oven are electric.  Oven also has a rotisserie function that we have not actually used.  Has worked well for us and nice to have both gas/electric.  I would buy it again. :thumbsup:

Have you  any info if it uses lots of electricity when the oven is on? I mean, do you really see any difference in your electricity bills when it is used 1-2 times/week?

Curious to know :89:

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 5/15/2020 at 12:46 PM, Tommy T. said:

Since you bake too, maybe you could direct me to where I might find a pizza stone? Not sure if that's what they are called outside USA, but I had one on the yacht made of marble. It really helped to crisp up the pizza crust…

You can find one at Lazada.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?spm=a2o4l.home.search.1.239e6db4miKEFB&q=pizza stone for oven&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--1486543153459703798__abId--154857__pvid--15652502-a523-4ee5-9f2c-8d9e539cfb37&from=suggest_normal&sugg=pizza stone for oven_0_1

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use a pizza stone for baking bread. Heat the stone as the oven comes to temp then place the bread pan or pans on it to bake. This tip came from YouTube I think America's Test Kitchen channel?

99060937_3044045855642117_6571168957787537408_n.jpg

Edited by Old55
Updated with picture
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Have you  any info if it uses lots of electricity when the oven is on? I mean, do you really see any difference in your electricity bills when it is used 1-2 times/week?

Curious to know :89:

We have not noticed it, but to be honest neither of us had really considered it either.  You question made me curious as to which is less expensive to operate.  I checked with Mr. Google and found this calculator.   The web and google have certainly changed our ability to obtain answers to questions and seek information. :thumbsup:

http://www.maxmcarter.com/fuels/fuelscalc.html

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

We have not noticed it, but to be honest neither of us had really considered it either.  You question made me curious as to which is less expensive to operate.  I checked with Mr. Google and found this calculator.   The web and google have certainly changed our ability to obtain answers to questions and seek information. :thumbsup:

http://www.maxmcarter.com/fuels/fuelscalc.html

Thanks for the link, but our problem is that we don´t live there yet ,so we don´t know the exact price of the electricity, gas and the efficiency of the burners. Then it´s difficult to get a fair result.

roddavis
Posted
Posted

And now for something (easy) completely different!

How about English Muffins(american style) with all the nooks and crannies for fresh butter melting in all the cracks! Or with a fried egg, cheese and ham for breakfast. For a little additional flavoring I added homemade sourdough starter to the dough.

Recipe at  English Muffins | Allrecipes 

DSCF2990.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thanks for the link, but our problem is that we don´t live there yet ,so we don´t know the exact price of the electricity, gas and the efficiency of the burners. Then it´s difficult to get a fair result.

Rates will vary a bit depending on where you plan to live.  Here in Moalboal the electric rate is right at 12 peso per KW.  An 11 kilo tank of cooking gas is approximately 700 peso.  Here are those values input into the calculator. 

Unable to post a good screen shot.  Plug in 12 peso for electric rate.  63 peso per kilo for the LPG.  95 percent efficiency for burner (just a guess).  It indicates a gas oven is more cost effective per BTU. 

Edited by Mike J
URL did not work
  • Thanks 1