Throw away ticket

Heeb
Posted
Posted

So we have our tickets to the P.I. one way for October 7th, my wife has dual citizenship but her Philippine passport is expired, should I get her a throw away ticket as well just to be on the safe side? I don't want any hassles if I can avoid it, we have a Shih Tzu traveling with us in the cabin and it's enough trouble arranging that.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

No way to get her a new passport in time?

If she can't use a Philippine passport for the flight, she will have to use her U.S. passport, and yes, the airline will ask for a ticket out of the Philippines.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

No way to get her a new passport in time?

If she can't use a Philippine passport for the flight, she will have to use her U.S. passport, and yes, the airline will ask for a ticket out of the Philippines.

I could probably go to Vancouver B.C. and get her passport renewed but it's not worth the hassle and cheaper to get a throw away, I'll just buy a ticket, thanks.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, Heeb said:

I could probably go to Vancouver B.C. and get her passport renewed but it's not worth the hassle and cheaper to get a throw away, I'll just buy a ticket, thanks.

If she had the PH passport then you could enter as Balikbayan.  No need for throw away ticket for either of you (I think, double check) and you will not need to pay any tourist visa fees for a year.  If you are both U.S. tourists you are going going to need to go to B.I. and extend before 30 days are up, and then every 30 or 60 or 6 months after that to extend.  My first year on a tourist visa cost me $563, and you a X2.

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If she had the PH passport then you could enter as Balikbayan.  No need for throw away ticket for either of you (I think, double check) and you will not need to pay any tourist visa fees for a year.  If you are both U.S. tourists you are going going to need to go to B.I. and extend before 30 days are up, and then every 30 or 60 or 6 months after that to extend.  My first year on a tourist visa cost me $563, and you a X2.

Last time she went by herself and used her dual citizenship certificate on arrival, she stayed for 9 months and didn't have any immigration hassles.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Heeb said:

Last time she went by herself and used her dual citizenship certificate on arrival, she stayed for 9 months and didn't have any immigration hassles.

Be sure she brings that copy again.  My wife's PH passport had expired and they were going to fine her for overstaying.  Having the dual citizenship certificate saved her trouble and money.  As mentioned by others request the BB stamp and you both will be good for a year.  As for the ongoing ticket, the is a requirement of the airline that takes you to the Philippines.  I suggest you contact them, explain the situation, and see what they say.  In either case throwaway tickets would be cheap insurance.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Heeb said:

I can't add anything about "dual citizenship" certificates and I hope that works.  I hope she can get you both the BB privilege.  Mike J's advice looks good.

• Like 1