Choosing oven

Viking
Posted
Posted

We plan to buy a new gas range and need some advice on what to choose. I have seen that some have electrical ovens but most are gas. Where I come from we only have electrical ones, so I have no experience at all with gas ovens. We will mostly use it for baking bread, pizza, scones, lasanga, puddings and grill chicken. 

What do you prefer and why, gas or electric?

Have been looking online at La Germania, Tecnogas, Whirlpool and Fujidenzo, does any of you have any experice of these brands?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We made the mistake of buying an oven without thermostat control, completely unusable.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I bought a gas oven and the thermostat is just for show, it's only really high, middle and low. Brand is Boston Bay, the matching hob is good though. Got used to it but not for baking as more of an exact science.

When I replace I will go for electric fan oven....and pray for no brownout lol...There is an Italian brand sold near me but can't remember the name. Depending on where you will be living you would more likely have greater choice than me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We have a La Germania gas with electric fan oven and works well.  No issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Viking said:

Have been looking online at La Germania, Tecnogas, Whirlpool and Fujidenzo, does any of you have any experice of these brands?

I have a Fujidenzo oven... It came with the furnished apartment. I hate it. It is a smaller, cheaper unit, so maybe it is just because it is a cheapo model? I have to set the temperature at least 25 degrees C above the temperatures listed in my recipes. When I first moved in here 1 1/2 years ago, it seemed to be about right for temperature. Now it seems to be drifting to less heat at the same settings from before.

Soon my partner and I will have our new house and we will equip it with gas stove and separate oven (installed in a cabinet maybe .8 m or so above the floor so I don't have to do a yoga bend to reach down and inspect and open it!). I would only choose gas, personally, since electricity is very expensive here (higher than in Seattle). I prefer gas for the stove top because of the instant heat and instant off. We will spend maybe more than we should to make sure it is a quality oven with broiler capability since I love the overhead heating for finishing some dishes and maybe for steaks, chicken, when I won't be able to use the bbq outside.

It will be interesting to hear from other members about their ovens...

Oven.jpg

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It will help to have a chat with the local gas stove repairman.  See what brands he can get parts for.  My guess is La Germania gas stove.  Electric stoves are unpopular due to no grounding here (static shocks common off electric stoves) and the high cost of electrcity.

Sooner or later you will have to repair or replace it.  That will be a bad time to find out they cannot get parts for it.  PS:  I have not followed my own advice on a few occasions and ended up tossing out perfectly good appliances because no parts were available.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We have an Elba oven, with a separate compartment for the gas bottle which is handy.  It has 4 gas rings and a gas oven with 1 electric ring as well.  It's an Italian brand and we bough in SM Electrical.  I don't use it but my wife is happy with it, including the oven - she bakes a lot and has had no problems.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Our kitchen appliances are La Germania.  The 5 burner stove is gas with piping through the walls and the tanks are out back of the dirty kitchen.  The oven is electric and my wife says its the best she has used.  Even better than the GE we had in the states.  Seems the thermostat is well regulated and although the controls are simple, they function well.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.26.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.27.52 PM.png

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

We purchased a La Germania gas range a couple of years ago because of its Italian roots and its Philippines assembly. We'll never buy another. The burner adjustments are the absolute worst I've ever encountered. They do not have a real "low" and if you get them to the lowest flame setting, a small nudge in the direction of "lower" will *raise* the flame again.

• Thanks 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Viking said:

We plan to buy a new gas range and need some advice on what to choose. I have seen that some have electrical ovens but most are gas. Where I come from we only have electrical ones, so I have no experience at all with gas ovens. We will mostly use it for baking bread, pizza, scones, lasanga, puddings and grill chicken. 

What do you prefer and why, gas or electric?

Cooked with gas ovens most of my life. We have a Germania stove with 3 burners and an oven but don't use the oven much. I would love to bake some bread like the kind I was used to in the US but I'm just too lazy to figure out how to do it.:tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1