Choosing oven

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Cooked with gas ovens most of my life. We have a Germania stove with 3 burners and an oven but don't use the oven much. I would love to bake some bread like the kind I was used to in the US but I'm just too lazy to figure out how to do it.:tongue:

Normally with a match 

• Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I prefer cooking with gas, you tend to get better & faster temp control.  That is more important for the hob, than the oven.

Most of the ones I see here are 4 gas burners, and an electric oven. Electric is expensive, but cooking anything in an oven for 45 minutes would suck down a gas can, I think. So I understand the gas/elec combo. 

I have not talked myself into getting one yet.  A friend had one and said the oven was useless for baking - but - he was a retired baker and probably had high standards ha ha :tiphat: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I prefer cooking with gas, you tend to get better & faster temp control.  That is more important for the hob, than the oven.Electric is expensive, but cooking anything in an oven for 45 minutes would suck down a gas can, I think. So I understand the gas/elec combo. 

A 22kg bottle will give me around 14 weeks when cooking often at 2 hours plus in my gas oven. Using the oven lesser gives me around an extra 4 weeks. That's not bad either way IMHO.

I would prefer an electric fan oven, like I had in the uk as I find the temperature more consistent therefore better for baking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, intrepid said:

Our kitchen appliances are La Germania.  The 5 burner stove is gas with piping through the walls and the tanks are out back of the dirty kitchen.  The oven is electric and my wife says its the best she has used.  Even better than the GE we had in the states.  Seems the thermostat is well regulated and although the controls are simple, they function well.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.26.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.27.52 PM.png

Thats one of the solutions we also been thinking of, a hob and then a separate oven. Everybody is talking about how expensive the electricity is and I know that since before, but does it really makes such a big difference? I mean,  the oven is not used daily and if the results are better it could be Worth that extra pesos. Many of us use Aircon several hours a day without being worried about the costs:89:

Your kitchen looks really nice:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I prefer cooking with gas, you tend to get better & faster temp control.  That is more important for the hob, than the oven.

Most of the ones I see here are 4 gas burners, and an electric oven. Electric is expensive, but cooking anything in an oven for 45 minutes would suck down a gas can, I think. So I understand the gas/elec combo. 

I have not talked myself into getting one yet.  A friend had one and said the oven was useless for baking - but - he was a retired baker and probably had high standards ha ha :tiphat: 

I agree about using gas for the hob but I am not so sure if it is an advantage for the oven. Like you say, electric is expensive but if you do things in the oven, that takes long time, that will probably also use quite alot of gas. Thnx for your input.

Viking
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, virginprune said:

A 22kg bottle will give me around 14 weeks when cooking often at 2 hours plus in my gas oven. Using the oven lesser gives me around an extra 4 weeks. That's not bad either way IMHO.

I would prefer an electric fan oven, like I had in the uk as I find the temperature more consistent therefore better for baking.

Hmmm, so maybe the oven dont use as much gas as I been expected then :89:

When you say you would prefer an Electric fan oven, do you mean Electric fan GAS oven or an Electric oven with a FAN? :tiphat:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Viking said:

Hmmm, so maybe the oven dont use as much gas as I been expected then 

Our oven is gas with electric fan and electric broiler.  Then with 5 gas burners on the top.  Outside in the dirty kitchen we have a 2 burner gas stove.  We have an 11 kg tank hooked to both of them. 

I have to buy an 11 kg tank about every 2.5 to 3 months.  My wife uses the gas burners a lot and lately has been using the oven quite a bit more, but still not a lot of baking.

So our LPG costs all in are about ~p600 every 3 months.  Very reasonable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

Many of us use Aircon several hours a day without being worried about the costs:89:

Very true.  But I have never got an electric shock from an Aircon due to an improper ground.  I have been shocked by just about any electric appliance that heats anything in the Philippines, that goes for hot water heater on the wall, to kettle, to electric burner on stove, to many more things.  I am actually surprised at people who haven't and I say:  Just wait a while.  So far it hasn't killed me, its just uncomfortable.  (PS, The stove top does not shock me if the pots and utensils i am using have insulated handles)

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Very true.  But I have never got an electric shock from an Aircon due to an improper ground.  I have been shocked by just about any electric appliance that heats anything in the Philippines, that goes for hot water heater on the wall, to kettle, to electric burner on stove, to many more things.  I am actually surprised at people who haven't and I say:  Just wait a while.  So far it hasn't killed me, its just uncomfortable.  (PS, The stove top does not shock me if the pots and utensils i am using have insulated handles)

Thats also a very important thing to consider when dealing with electrical appliances, the safety! But could not this problem be solved with one of those things that cut the current when there is a fault in the system?

Talking about safety, do any of you have a gas leakage alarm? Remember that I had one in my sailingboat, but are they also used in houses with gas stoves?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I would love to bake some bread like the kind I was used to in the US but I'm just too lazy to figure out how to do it.

I'd be happy to explain how to bake good bread, but you (or your girl) would have to do some work to make it... I love home-baked bread. I find the kneading to be therapeutic for relieving stress. Start a new thread if you want to make a conversation?

• Love it 1