Choosing oven

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I read these posts and wonder what has happened to the modern stove/oven: not a mention. You can roast, bake, boil, just about do anything in them. What has caused this modern technology to be banished to the depths of our grey matter and only mentioned politely in conversations before returning back to the topic of a finely cooked roast in a conventional oven or melting chocolate by double boiling it on the stove top. Now before anyone sees red and get there blood pressure up complaining the food doesn't taste the same, maybe it might have something to do with the way you use this wonderful new invention and the lack of spices and herbs, or the inability to just plain cook. Yes the Microwave once mastered can cook a descent meal, and will be cost efficient with any cooking device except one, the wood fire. Arr yes the wonders of modern technology, you can set the timer and go to the pub, eliminating the need for a wife and when you return home, your meal is warmed up or if your a bit late, reheat it, isn't technology great. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• I'm Confused 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

Hmmm, so maybe the oven dont use as much gas as I been expected then :89:

When you say you would prefer an Electric fan oven, do you mean Electric fan GAS oven or an Electric oven with a FAN? :tiphat:

Electric oven with a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Talking about safety, do any of you have a gas leakage alarm? Remember that I had one in my sailingboat, but are they also used in houses with gas stoves?

You can get them in some places - not sure about here in Philippines. I am not so concerned because I can easily smell the gas if the burner or oven goes out (and only a burner on extreme low has ever gone out - so far) and there is a lot of ventilation since doors and windows are open almost always... I never had a "sniffer" in my yacht for 25+ years and only smelled the gas once or twice. I also never left the stove untended when cooking anything - just to be safe.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I read these posts and wonder what has happened to the modern stove/oven: not a mention. You can roast, bake, boil, just about do anything in them.

Not speaking for the rest of the members, but I cook virtually all our dinners and most breakfasts. I love cooking and baking. I make some sort of roast almost every week - last night was pork ribs... Two days ago I baked cookies - I bake something sweet like that also about once per week... I have only used the microwave a couple of times here - to reheat a cold coffee (because L only drinks a little of hers mostly) or to finish a baked potato that didn't quite get done in the not-hot-enough-oven...

I think maybe you are generalizing a bit too much here, Clermont, if you don't mind my respectful criticism here? Or perhaps I did not understand your post correctly?

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Gas Oven is a must with all the brown outs gas is the way to go I bought a Markes nothing but trouble paid over 30 thousand pesos for it and not much support from there company the first time the family has cooked on a stove and not out side on wood so maybe that could have been the problem also first one I had worked great I moved and sold it wish now I would have kept it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

I read these posts and wonder what has happened to the modern stove/oven: not a mention.

I'm not following you.  I thought that is what we are discussing, for the benefit of Viking ????

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not following you.  I thought that is what we are discussing, for the benefit of Viking ????

Clermont was speaking of a microwave.  A useful item, but certainly no replacement for a real oven.  

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Viking said:

Thats also a very important thing to consider when dealing with electrical appliances, the safety! But could not this problem be solved with one of those things that cut the current when there is a fault in the system?

Talking about safety, do any of you have a gas leakage alarm? Remember that I had one in my sailingboat, but are they also used in houses with gas stoves?

If you had a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, without a ground, you wouldn't have power, if the stoves were grounded to begin with, you most likely wouldn't be getting shocked in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Clermont said:

Yes the Microwave once mastered can cook a descent meal, and will be cost efficient with any cooking device except one, the wood fire. 

We have a Samsung "smart oven". It allegedly microwaves, broils, bakes and walks the dog. We mostly used it as a microwave. It stopped working. :sad:

• Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

We mostly used it as a microwave. It stopped working

Same same.  But mine lasted 8 years before packing it in.  I followed a Youtube DIY video to bypass fuses and safety features then I stood back and turned it on.  It still did not work so I called it a catastrophic failure and tossed it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1