The great outdoors

robert k
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

From what I have seen here in the P.I. so far... I suggest you buy whatever you might want in England or wherever you are from. Selection and quality and prices here are respectively low, lower and higher here... At least that is my observation so far. Filipinos do not seem to be much into hiking or camping - not like in USA or other "western" countries... That is just my opinion...

I am accustomed to shopping at REI and North Face USA and other American brands. That doesn't mean they are the only or best suppliers, just the ones I have found to usually have high quality (never cheap) goods for hiking and camping. Remember that if you buy crappy gear, you may have a crappy experience... 

Maybe because for many, life isn't much different from what westerners would consider camping?

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, robert k said:

Maybe because for many, life isn't much different from what westerners would consider camping?

You may be quite right, Robert.  Thanks for correcting me...

Life here for many locals could really be considered akin to camping in my home country. I am just suggesting my thoughts for purchasing "camping" or hiking gear that I would think would hold up to the local rugged environment for a foreigner visiting here.

I, myself, have done a bit of hiking in the tropics with just my "flip flops" or slippers as they are referred to here. I did okay, but they were not the ideal way to get around. The locals did fine, probably because they were accustomed to the environment... Me, being a westerner, struggled... My problem, not theirs...

Cannot say, really... Just saying from my experience with hiking and camping gear... I found USA and British and other foreign equipment to be of superior quality to what I see in stores here... so far..

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

At least that is my observation so far. Filipinos do not seem to be much into hiking or camping -

You jest of course, Maybe Tom you need to get out more it is a growing and a large Growing passtime :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Could be right, Jack... thanks!

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

You jest of course, Maybe Tom you need to get out more it is a growing and a large Growing passtime :thumbsup:

The only hiking the wife's family did was  once a year, it was to  visit the Mum n Dad's Grave, situated on a steep hill, until I contributed to having the grave relocated to a more pleasant reachable location.

The Filipino's are becoming more health conscious these days and into their sport.

Rumour has it, a one man Bobsleigh next year.

sled.jpg

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

On my last trip there was lots of cyclist about in groups ,looked just like the Tour de France many in there fancy gear and it did not look cheap either, but cycling is just to dangerous out there I am thinking.

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Steve, short straight answer, buy a pair at home and bring them with you, you will have a lot more choice at home plus probably cheaper.  Don't waste time faffing around here.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Steve, short straight answer, buy a pair at home and bring them with you, you will have a lot more choice at home plus probably cheaper.  Don't waste time faffing around here.

Steve... I think Eddie's suggestion is the best.... just buy at home. Plus, you have the chance to use it there and break in your feet or your shoes/boots. I really think you will find better quality for the price there... So far, I am underwhelmed by the stores here, the prices (high), quality (lack of) and selection.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

faffing

Sorry, Eddie... I am not British... could you please define "faffing"? I think I get it but never heard it used before... Sorry for being ignorant about this word...

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry, Eddie... I am not British... could you please define "faffing"? I think I get it but never heard it used before... Sorry for being ignorant about this word...

Good old British sayings , faffing ,means  wasting time , and when your last third time is precious.

• Thanks 1